Chapter 5

The refreshing breeze licked my skin as I sat down on the back porch, my lips spreading into a smile. Today was a rare day, no meetings, no training and no lessons. It was one of my only times to enjoy myself, to let go of all the stress of reality and gain all my energy back. After my discussion with my father yesterday, I was growing excited for my little trip this weekend, despite who I was going with. I know with Lin, we'll have some fun but Obsidian will most likely be serious the entire time. He'll probably be brooding the entire time, wishing he wasn't being tortured by spending so much time with me. 

I was actually surprised when he agreed to it, but when I heard him tell my father he'll love to prove me wrong, my surprise quickly vanished. The only reason he wanted to join was because he believed there was no secret entrance or exit for the hunters, but I'm determined to prove him wrong. I still couldn't wrap my head around his thought process, how does one be so naive? With almost all the kings agreeing with me, it was hard to see what he was seeing. The hunters have some idea of keeping us blind to their plans, they got past our patrol for crying out loud. He may not care for his pack, but I do and I'll be damned if I allow another member to get hurt. 

I let out a calming breath and opened my eyes, staring at the miles of forest before me. Setting down my now empty mug, I brought myself to my feet. I let out a groan as I stretched my muscles, getting rid of the cramp from sitting for so long. I normally don't go for a run while shifted, due to how difficult it is to control my animalistic side. Our wolves share part of our mind, body and soul with us. Many humans find it ridiculous when we'll attempt to explain it, but we just shrug them off. It's a difficult process to understand, you would have to experience it in order to get what we are saying. 

It's almost magical with how we shift, it isn't like those movies where our skin breaks apart and it's all disgusting. Not be honest, I'm not sure how it looks, but I know that our bodies don't explode. I guess, we're almost like shape shifters in that sense, it's like a fog that surrounds us and when it lifts, we're suddenly overly large wolves. It's hard to actually get to watch someone shift, it happens so fast you can't even comprehend what just occurred. 

As soon as I was on paws and not feet, I took off into the trees. The power and adrenaline that coursed through me felt amazing, as if all my frustrations just melted away with each stride. I zipped through bushes, splashed into puddles of mud and soared over rocks. I let out a howl of excitement, my wolf and I both enjoying the freedom. As I came to the river I slowed down and collapsed on the banks of the water. I licked some of the refreshing water up before curling up against a boulder. I stared out across the land, studying the forest beyond the river. Tilting my head, I noticed a grey almost white wolf relaxing under a small cliff side. His eyes were closed, but his ears up and alert, not letting his guard down. He was huge, larger than my dad's wolf which most likely meant he was an alpha. And knowing who's land was across from our's, I knew it was Obsidian. 

I'm sort of shocked to see his wolf was the complete opposite of his name, he has the most beautiful coat I have ever seen. While my wolf is a dark brown with black streaks running through my fur and white on the very tip of my tail, he had no markings. Besides for his paws being lighter than the rest of his body. I looked away when I caught myself staring for far too long, it would be humiliating if he woke up and saw me watching him. I can be a creep, but not that much of one. 

A few hours passed of me dozing in the sunlight, the warmth causing me to feel lazy. I eventually made the decision that it was time to return home, not wanting my mom to freak out and assume I was killed or kidnapped. I yawned and stretched out my muscles before looking up, my thoughts seem to freeze when I saw Obsidian had shifted back. He was now leaning against the rocks and applying pressure to what seemed like a deep wound. His face twisted into that of pain and his chest rising and falling quickly. Part of me wanted to go over there and see if he was okay, but the other part of me swiftly shut that side down. I shook my head, my hatred for the man coming back full force. I growled softly and turned my back to him, angry at myself for even caring just a little. 

~~~~~~

"Damn, did a rogue attack him or something while you slept?" Lin asked after I explained what I saw.

I shrugged, "Who knows. I don't care."

"You wouldn't be thinking about it or talking about it if you didn't care."

"I don't, it's just drama that I felt like sharing."

She rolled her eyes, "How do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Get so buried in denial that you don't even realize you're falling in love?"

I scrunched up my face in disgust, "I am not in love with him."

"Okay, maybe not but you do have a crush. I can see it when you look at him."

"I do not."

"Sylvia...you do, you're just too afraid to see it."

Frowning, I took a bite of my sandwich, "Nope."

She sighed, "You're unbelievable."

"No, me having a crush on him is unbelievable."

"Whatever you say." 

I thought over what she said as we ate in silence, furrowing my eyebrows at the thought of having a crush on him. Even if I did, it would eventually fade away. That's how all my crushes end, sooner or later I'll remember why I refuse to get into a relationship. I had my heart broken once and I'd rather not have that feeling again. 

I don't need to love anyone. 

A/N: So, a little bit of Sylvia's past is going to start coming out. 0.0

Let me know what ya think! And sorry for any mistakes, these chapters aren't edited at all!