Chapter 37

I slowly opened my eyes, wincing at the sunlight that poured through the windows, stinging my eyes. I gave myself a few seconds to allow them to adjust before opening them fully again, my vision returning non blurred this time. It took another moment for me to recognize my surroundings, frowning at the familiar hospital walls. 

"How are you feeling?"

I jumped slightly at the sound of his smooth voice, "Better."

Obsidian was sitting the chair beside my bed, leaning against the one arm rest with his cheek against his hand. I swallowed the sudden sense of lust that washed over me, squirming awkwardly in the bed. Obsidian's eyes darkened a few shades as he sat up more straight, his hands tightening on the chair's arm rests.

"Control yourself," he whispered softly.

I folded my arms across my chest, "You should take some of your own advice." 

He rolled his eyes and shifted a little in the chair, blowing out a breath as he seemed to study me. Being under his heavy stare had me heating up, my jaw clenching as my wolf seemed to call out to his, trying to create a connection. I clenched my jaw as I stared down at my hands, questioning my wolf's decision on who she deems as a suitable mate. I gently reminded her of how he had acted after that kiss, closing me out as if I were nothing to him but a toy. 

"Why are you here anyway?" I hissed out, my words coming out harsher than intended. 

Obsidian chuckled, "Someone is quite testy this morning, is your heat coming?"

"No, my heat isn't coming and it isn't called a heat, Obsidian. Period. It's called a freaking period!" 

"Well, yeah that's the bloody part of it, I'm talking about afterwards where you females are crazy."

I groaned as I pinched the bridge of my nose, "The heat comes before the period, did you ever pay attention in sex ed or were you sent to human school?" 

"Well, my apologies for not really caring to learn about the female genitalia," he grumbled. "Anyways, I was here to apologize for what I had said yesterday."

I nodded, "Okay."

"I shouldn't have acted as if you weren't a true alpha, I seem to forget that you're quite young."

"You're only a few years older than me, aren't you?"

He shrugged, "I didn't have the entitled childhood that you have."

"Now you're calling me entitled, gods, is it this difficult to apologize to someone? I get it if you hate me, but seriously, quit it with the insults."

"I'm not trying to insult you!" He whined. 

I narrowed my eyes, "It feels like you are."

"I just get nervous around...those....icareabout," he rushed out at the end, causing me to grow a little confused.

"I'm sorry?"

"I care about you, okay? Happy now?"

I blinked at him in surprise, "You...care about me?"

"Yes. I need to go." 

I watched in bewilderment as he rushed out of the room, slamming the door behind him. Frowning at the spot he was sitting in just a few seconds ago, I couldn't process what he had just told me, as if it wasn't real. But I know it was by hi scent that lingered in the room and the racing of my heart at the thought of him falling for me. My cheeks were hot to the touch as I attempted to calm myself down, telling myself to quit acting like some foolish fan girl. 

"It's not easy for him to admit something such as that," Cynthia mumbled as she ate her sandwich.

I stared at my food, twirling it around the plate with the small fork, "How are you feeling?"

"Far better now, my wound is almost healed. How's yours?"

"Healing slowly due to the venom, I didn't even know hybrids had venom in their claws."

"Yeah, that one you brought back told us she doesn't understand it fully either. She's such a sweet girl, what they did to her is awful," Cynthia said sadly. 

I nodded in agreement, "How is she?"

"Well, she kept panicking and begging your father not to kill her. Your poor dad was trying his hardest to show her he meant no harm, even your mother got involved. Luthias eventually stepped in, he became quite protective of her. But he was able to calm her down and explain to her that it was okay. It seems as though her wolf has chosen Luthias as their mate, something she doesn't understand yet."

"And Luthias?"

"Oh, he was all over her the second he saw her. He has always had a thing for female vampires, I mean they are born to be the most beautiful and deadly creatures. But there's something about her that made him instantly addicted. It's strange how we choose our mates when all you read in those online books is how the fates do."

I chuckled, "Thank the gods they don't, I don't want to imagine the poor bastard I'd be stuck with." 

Cynthia laughed as we continued chatting, my appetite slowly coming back. My thoughts were still surrounding Obsidian, but it didn't make me as nervous anymore. If anything, I would say I'm a little flattered by him taking a liking to me. Whether it's because he likes how I am as a friend or if he's attracted to me, that man is one confusing wolf.

The day dragged on with me stuck in the hospital, the doctor wanting to keep an eye on me. While my wounds were making progress and the venom didn't seem to get very far, but how weak I am is alarming to them. I curled up in the bed, ignoring the pain from my wounds as I attempted to get comfortable. I muffled my tiny sobs as the frustration became overwhelming, I was tired, hurting and bored out of my mind. My mind was slowly cracking under the pressure, my emotions breaking the lid of the bottle I had them trapped in. 

He didn't say anything as he sat on the bed, gently pulling my hair from my face and throwing it into a lose pony tail. The cool air nipped at the back of my neck, helping me to calm down ever so slightly. He didn't move afterwards, he only rubbed my back as I broke down, humiliated that he saw me cry.

A/N: Awe, poor Sylvia, the stress of everything is finally getting to her.