Chapter 20

"Alright, so what is on the agenda for today?" I asked Malachi as we walked into the kitchen. 

He pursed his lips, becoming silent which in return, made me roll my eyes. He didn't have an agenda for the day, he was just winging it. Pinching the bridge of my nose, I grabbed a paper and pen to write down what things need to be taken care of. I started with the warriors, I know they're very skilled, but they still need to train at least four times a week. The newer ones need to train every single day, making sure they're fit and ready when they move up levels. I then went to making sure the patrols were switched out and if they have any information about hunters or noticed anything odd. 

I paused, staring at my list, "Alright, so what else does Obsidian do?"

"He makes sure the rules are being enforced and checks in with any foster families, nurseries and the infirmary."

"Good, what else?"

"Goes over any new information we have regarding the hunters."

"And?"

"Reviews any new attack plans or patrol ideas our lead warrior has."

I nodded, "Alright, that seems like a decent amount of work for the day. Since you're the beta, I'll leave you in charge of the warriors. Prepare them for a test at the end of the week, I want to see their fighting and if the younger ones improved. I watched them train early this morning and they were decent, but could be better. I'll focus on ensuring the rules are enforced by speaking to Obsidian's sister, what is her name?"

"Cynthia."

"Thank you. Afterwards, I'll go over the patrols and hunter information. Sound good?"

Malachi seemed surprised for a moment before nodding, "You're somewhat like Obsidian, but the opposite at the same time."

"How does that work?" I laughed.

"Don't know, it's difficult to explain. You think like him, but you're softer when you come up with things to do. He'll literally just hand me papers and tell me to take care of it, he's always serious." 

Raising my eyebrow, I turned my attention to the list, "He never asks for your opinion?"

"He does, but not with delegating any tasks, I'm expected to do them. It was almost the same with the previous beta and his father. At least, if I try to refuse he then will ask for an explanation. His father would just beat his old beta until he gave in."

Hearing how his father treated his beta had me wondering what he did to Obsidian, Malachi had mentioned it twice that his father had done something to him. I ignored it though, knowing it would be useless to prod Malachi for those answers, he wouldn't betray Obsidian like that. I let out a breath, trying to figure out what to say to his explanation. 

"That's uh....that sounds rough," I replied. 

Malachi shrugged, "His father just wasn't a great guy, at least Obsidian learned from it. He doesn't act anything like him, thank the gods. This pack wouldn't last if he did. Hey, I got a question for you."

"And I'll have an answer."

"Why do we even have a kingdom? Can we even call them kingdoms? Why not just leave it to being packs?"

I thought over his questions, I would sometimes ask the same things. While my family has an extremely large territory and our pack is basically living in their own town, my parents didn't wear crowns or anything. My father checked in with each pack in Canada monthly, asking for documentation on any trails held, punishments, prisoners, attacks, wars and more. Any alphas who want to execute a pack member would always have to request my father's permission first, most of the time it would be a good enough reason and my father would allow it. However, there were the few occasions it was an alpha simply feeling threatened, in which case my father would allow that packmember to challenge the alpha. To him, it was clear why they would challenge their leader, they were weak. 

I sighed, "Because there has to be someone to control the packs. If we didn't have one soul leader, then many could go and slaughter random humans, cause wars with other creatures such as vampires and slaughter packmembers without needing to answer to anyone. Werewolves aren't easy to control and many can let their feral sides take control. A king can keep their country's packs under control and prevent any accidents from happening. Imagine how many wars would happen, how many humans would be killed and how many werewolves would be running around, completely insane." 

Malachi seemed to ponder my answer before he finally nodded in agreement, understanding what I meant. It would be complete insanity if werewolves were left to their packs and didn't have a king or council of some sort. While my father has to answer to no one, he knows how to be a responsible ruler and fair. There were some cases where a king wasn't stable and would cause many issues, such as attacking another king's country. 

If any packs were to start small wars with each other and my father got wind of it, he would immediately put an end to it and force them to come up with a treaty. It wouldn't always work, he would have to just let them figure it out themselves every so often. But most of the time, he handled any problems arising within the packs. 

Kings and queens are also responsible for creating rules for all of the werewolves, such as when it comes to trying to mate with any humans or other creatures. Certain creatures should never be mixed, it creates problems that are very difficult to end. While a human and a werewolf mating wouldn't be a problem, if a vampire and werewolf were to have a child, things could get ugly. I don't even want to imagine what those hybrids would act like, I'm sure they wouldn't be the easiest to keep track of. Their strength and speed would be unmanageable, a young one could easily use it to their advantage. 

Shoving the thoughts to the back of my mind, I handed Malachi his duties for the day before focusing on mine. I haven't met Cynthia yet, it made me slightly nervous to check in with her and make sure she's being fair. While she seems like a fun person, I had no idea what she thought of me and how her personality was. I sent up a silent prayer that she wouldn't try to challenge me, after all, Obsidian's father loathed my family. While Obsidian may not give a damn about us, I'm not positive his sister feels the same way. 

A/N: Just a short chapter this morning, sorry for any mistakes! None of my chapters are edited, which I should get to doing soon. Hope you enjoyed! Thank you for reading!