Chapter 26

We stared at each other for gods know how long, lost within each others' eyes. Lust pooled into me as I attempted to fight the urge to kiss him. His lips were so close, only a few inches apart I could practically feel them. However, Obsidian quickly pulled away, a light tint to his cheeks as he made sure to put space between us. 

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have lost control," he whispered. 

I swallowed the sting of rejection, "Y-yeah, it's fine."

"You should be packing to head back home, I can handle my pack and kingdom from here."

"Right," I replied softly, yanking my gaze away from his. 

He didn't say another word as he walked away from me, I could almost see the walls he built before, slowly guarding him once more. A heavy feeling slammed down onto my chest, making it almost difficult to breathe as I followed him a few feet behind. My mind was racing with thoughts, trying to figure out what I had done to cause him to suddenly hate my presence. The pain reinforcing my idea of not wanting to fall in love, to not want anything to do with that emotion. Just like his, my walls began forming once more as I blinked away my tears. 

~~~~~

"I'm sure my brother didn't mean anything when he-

"Cynthia, you don't have to explain his actions to me. I'm over it, besides, I was only staying until he was well enough again," I quickly voiced, cutting her off.

Cynthia frowned at me, "But...."

"Cynthia, please? I don't want to talk about this anymore."

"Okay, okay...so....what about bringing me along?"

I froze, "But doesn't Obsidian need you?"

"He has Malachi," she replied with a shrug.

I grinned, "You're the best." 

"Now, lets get you packed up and then me!" 

It took us the rest of the day to finish packing all of our things, the entire time we didn't see nor hear anything from Obsidian. He didn't even care that his sister was leaving as well, as if he were numb to anything that dealt with family or love. A small flame of anger began to burn in my heart at the thought, I couldn't bring myself to understand why someone couldn't care for their own family. I could sort of understand ignoring the potential for a relationship to form, but simply ignoring my family was nearly impossible. Though, I guess it's different for everyone, especially those who are used to being cold. 

"Is he even going to say goodbye?" I asked.

Cynthia shook her head, "When he's in this sort of mood, he never says a damn thing. But he's still my baby brother, I deal with it. He'll eventually get over himself." 

"Why does he do it?"

She pursed her lips, debating over answering me, "To be completely honest....I'm not sure. He's terrified of opening up I guess."

"I'm not terrified of anything."

We both turned as Obsidian walked towards us, his face set in stone as he avoided eye contact. I matched his expressionless face, neither one of us spoke as he looked at his sister. 

"Why are you going, exactly?" He questioned.

Cynthia shrugged, "Maybe I want a change of scenery? Or my brother needs to work on himself without his older sister making excuses." 

Surprise slapped me in the face as I stared at her, curious about why she was angry with him all of a sudden. Obsidian was confused as well, for once his numb mask cracked as he stared at her, trying to figure out what his sister was thinking. Cynthia's face relaxed as she let out a breath, she walked over to him and pulled him into a hug.

"Stop getting rid of people that possibly love you. I'm angry for you suddenly deciding to shut her out when you saw you were falling. But that's honestly not the reason I'm leaving, I've been stuck in this damn pack my entire life and I like to travel. Never been to Canada, so I'm going with her," Cynthia explained. 

Obsidian opened his mouth to respond, but quickly shut it as he blinked in befuddlement. Cynthia gently tapped him on the cheek before grabbing my arm and dragging me out of the packhouse. 

"What in the world was that about?" I asked.

She grinned, "To make him think for once and I'm also a slightly petty person. Besides, if you aren't going to say anything, I'll have to say it." 

"Touche." 

A/N: Sorry this chapter isn't so hot, I've been so drained mentally it's difficult to write.