24. Dimitri

I stood by the window watching Bennett, Marc and Molly talk and get reacquainted with each other after almost 13 years of being apart from each other.

"What do you think they're talking about?" I looked over to see Gabe and Sage on either side of me and I shook my head with a sigh

"No idea, but whatever it is, I'm sure they'll tell us when they come inside" I answered and they nodded

"It's strange don't you think? I mean they show up 12 years later when we're being attacked by rogues, I where have they been all this time?" Sage questioned

"No clue and like I stated before, we just have to wait for them to come inside to tell us" I repeated my answer from before and then sighed before walking away

"You also find it strange that they're here don't you?" I looked away from the scene in front of me and then to the left where a moment ago my brother, Sage, stood at my left and saw Morgan beside me

"I find it difficult to understand how they can still be alive when they were pronounced dead all those years ago after the attack on your pack," I replied, "you said you saw their bodies laying on the ground limp with blood pooling all around them"

"I did but I didn't stay too long to make sure if they were dead or alive, which is something I should've done, instead I took Bennett away from their side as he kicked and screamed and cried for them," he said a look of pain crossing through his eyes before he shook his head, "after I had gotten Bennett inside and cleaned, I went to get their bodies so we could examine them to see if they were dead or just barely alive but they were gone"

"Why didn't you tell Bennett? If you knew that their bodies were gone why didn't you tell him that there was a possibility that they could be alive and bleeding?" I asked and he rubbed the heels of his palms against his eyes before saying

"Because Lilith had already told him that they were dead and that they were never coming back despite me telling her that it wasn't possible for them to be dead as their bodies were gone from the field where the fight had taken place," he said rubbing the bridge of his nose before looking up at the boy he had raised as a son for 18 years and his brother and sister in law he thought were dead for the past 12 years, "I was angry that she had gone and told him -a small child- that the people he loved were gone when we didn't know what had happened to their bodies. It was especially hard to see him walking to the pack cemetery to talk and cry to two empty tombs"

"But you had a chance to tell him that they weren't dead but you didn't tell him either way," I said

"Yes, and it was harsh and selfish of me to not have told him that but by then it had been too long and I had lost hope that they were alive. I knew rogues ate their dead pack members or other dead animals so I knew that if they had been taken by rogues that there had been a big chance that they would be dead. I sent out my scouts to look everywhere for any signs of their remains or anything that told me that they had been there but they found nothing"

I looked at Bennett and then at his parents and saw just how identical Bennett looked with Marc even though Marc has dark brown hair and was taller than him, they were practically twins. He was as tall as Molly who had light blonde hair, blue eyes and a slim built something she shared with Bennett.

"It wasn't until two days ago that I heard about two wolves having been seen crossing pack territories that it made me question if my intuition that my little brother and his mate were alive was right. Allies from all around have been keeping track on them and contacting me if they saw them shift to human form but I never got any word until last night when Alpha Billy called me to tell me that he has seen those two rogue wolves shift and that they looked exactly like the couple in the picture that I had sent out to him" he said and I looked at him wondering why he didn't send me a photo and he gave me a soft smile, "if you had gotten that photo it would make Benny question whether his parents were dead or not and I didn't want him to be disappointed if they were truly gone and I know you would've told him that I was looking for them"