Chapter 10

It was almost 3:30 when everyone shuffled out of the room that the hearing was being held. Hermione sat on a bench with her head down. No-one stopped and said anything to her, and she took that as the worst-case scenario. On every other law that she had drafted, people congratulated her out the door, almost everyone. She was sure that this meant that it hadn't passed. She was starting to get up when she noticed someone standing in front of her. When she looked up, she smiled. It was Kingsley, and he had the happiest look on his face. 

"Well done, dear. You have done it. You have helped create the law that makes everyone and every creature equal. I am very proud of you. That being said, I think that means you ought to be going home."

Hermione shot up and buried her head into the Minister's chest; she was crying silently. All of her hard work had paid off. She had done what she set out to do when she graduated from Hogwarts. 

"Thank you, sir. I promise I won't set foot in the Ministry for two weeks." Hermione shook his hand and practically ran home. She couldn't wait to phone Ginny and tell her the news. 

She arrived home around 4, and as she was picking up the telephone, she stopped. Surely Ginny would want to celebrate, which of course Hermione did too. However, she already had plans. She didn't know what to do. Here Draco was getting in the way of her decision-making abilities. She sunk into the chair and leaned her head back. All of these choices were surely going to drive her mad. 

She heard knocking at the door and got up. She silently wished that it was one of her friends so that she could share the news. It wasn't, though. Just the food that she had bought earlier today. That was it then. The decision was made for her. She couldn't let all of this amazing food go to waste. She had to get going and make dinner. 

She passed the telephone again and picked it up. She dialed Ginny's number and waited. She couldn't keep this from her friend. She just couldn't. 

"Hello 'Mione," Ginny sounded ecstatic on the phone, and Hermione wondered if that came with the fact that she was going to be a mother. 

"Hello, Gin," 

"You alright?"

"Yes, I am wonderful, actually. I found out some amazing news today, and I just had to share it with you."

"What is it then?"

"My law has passed," Hermione held her breath. It wasn't nearly as amazing as the news that Ginny had delivered yesterday, but it was so very important to her. 

"Hermione, that is incredible. I am so happy for you. So proud of you,"

"I...I don't know what to do with myself now, if I'm being honest. Kingsley gave me two weeks off. No exceptions."

"That is great. You should get out of England for a few days. Take your mind off everything."

"That is what he said as well," Hermione paused and smiled. She had done it, "Maybe after your party. I wouldn't miss that."

"I might have to hold you to it," 

"I know you will. Well, I was just about to make myself some supper. Maybe I'll swing over tomorrow around lunch, and you can help me decide where to go,"

"I would love that 'Mione. Have a nice supper."

"I love you, Gin. Tell Harry I said hi, and Ron."

"I will see you tomorrow."

It was almost 7 o'clock when Hermione had finished prepping everything and changing into something more comfortable. She apparated to the cafe and smiled when she saw Draco leaning against the glass in a pair of jeans and a green sweater.