Chapter 6: M E R C E N A R Y

[a soldier hired into foreign service; serving for pay or reward]

Rage.

Rage was something she should never feel but it was the very thing she was feeling in this very moment as she looked at her son and her daughter-in-law, Jojo. Despair had been written in both of their faces and it was more than evident what had caused it.

WWE.

A small fraction of her had believed that Stephanie would do the right thing for once to her own son and just let him enjoy his time as part of the commentary team and Jojo as the ring announcer, but it was all the proof she needed to know Stephanie McMahon was a cold hearted bitch.

WWE had released both Reid and Jojo McMahon without much of a warning but all with the petty that came with them being involved with her. She hated to see the two of them more stressed out than ever before—all because of her, all because her family wanted to hurt her in any possible way that they could.

"I'll talk to Eric Bischoff about this, okay?" She assured her son and daughter. "I know it's not much considering how Impact is in an all-time low right now but we'll make it work."

Reid nodded but she knew her son, he had grown up to make his own career without depending on her. He had made a name for himself as part of the commentary team. Her son had strived in his own career without her help. Then Jojo was also someone she didn't intend to be part of this mess as much anyone else, but here she was as well.

"I hate this. I hate every single fucking McMahons for always making my life hell." Reid spat slamming his fist against the dining table.

Jojo rubbing her husband's back at Sonya took hold of his shaking hand. The vehemence in Reid's tone scared her. There was just so few times she had seen him in such a state.

"They're still your family." Sonya whispered, as much as her own relationship with the rest of them were broken, she did not want the same circumstance to happen to her son, as much as she hated to admit it, she still wanted her son to be close to Stephanie. Reid still needed Stephanie as the mother, she had hoped for years she would be, but time and time again, the woman had failed and constantly it broke her son's heart more and more.

"Stephanie is not my mother." Reid spat pulling his hand away from her own, shrugging his shoulder and away from Jojo's touch. "You are the only family I have, you and Jojo. Everyone else doesn't matter, they never did. They can never love someone that was a result of an affair. Not even more own biological mother could love me."

This is what breaks her heart more than anything else. She couldn't help Reid with what he had always wished from. She couldn't give her a happy family. She finally understood why he had been so keen on starting his own, this was it. This was his way of finally compensating for what he couldn't have.

"I'm so sorry Reid." She whispered. "I sometimes blame myself for this. I blame myself for not fixing this." Sonya broke down in her son's home. Exhaustion finally caught up on her from everything that concerns their dysfunctional and disastrous family.

She finally let all the tears she held on for the two years go. She couldn't hold it anymore seeing how much chaos it has caused her son, his wife, and everyone else that never meant to be a part of the chaos she had once inflicted for the sake of her revenge all those years ago.

"I know this is all my fault. I fucked everything up, for everyone, including you, Baby." She whispered.

Reid's face soften at the sight of the strongest woman he knew crumble before his very eyes. All the years that he had been under the care of this woman, he had known of no one else that could love him except her, his biological aunt that treated her as her own son. In the cruel years that followed her, he had watched the transformation of a woman that had been the kindest, most loving woman he could ever see turned to a vindictive and ruthless woman in a blink of an eyes all because of the family she had wished to give her the same acceptance he, himself was constantly striving to have.