Chapter 16: F E U D

[inveterate quarrel between clans or families; hatred]

"I always wondered, why Kota didn't come along?" she asked Kenny as they waited for the rest of the gang to make their way to the meeting room.

Behind the scenes, Kenny was a private man with an open secret no one wanted to really acknowledge. It had been a growing question in the back of her mind for weeks now as she comes to term with everything finally going as she had planned for the future of the company. Individuals like Michael Nakazawa and Kota Ibushi would have been a perfect fit in the chaos that was the company.

"They're pushing him in New Japan." Kenny explained sighing as his eyes fell to the phone he was still holding on to. "I can't make him choose between this and the opportunity they're finally giving him."

She knew he was right.

"You know who made it hard for me to make an agreement with NJPW?" she inquired.

"I think I want to believe it had nothing to do with me." the smile that played on the man's face held no merit, he knew more than anyone else that he was responsible for screwing NJPW hence the volatile relationship they now had. "But between you and me, I shouldn't have left NJPW to go to WWE then come back to them with my tail between my legs."

"Then you go and leave again with your friends and make a company of your own." Sonya pointed out.

"Yeah." He sighed. "That's why when Kota wanted to come along, I didn't make him come here." He muttered. "That just going to ruin him more than anything."

His eyes once again falling to his phone, the first genuine smile on his face all morning as the ringtone on his phone sounded.

"I have to take this." He excused himself, making his way out of the meeting room.

Out of boredom, she pulled out her phone and her face immediately brightened at the text sent to her by her husband with a picture attached to it. The sight of him and Sam walking their dog in the streets of Vegas. Sam attempting and failing to ride on their bulldog's back.

She sent him a text reminding him to be careful. But as soon as she sends out the text, Jon was calling her through facetime. A smile on her face answering and seeing Jon's red face and a crying child in his arms.

"Sam may or may not have accidentally fell on her ass." Jon pointed out making her roll her eyes. "Is it fine if I take her to an ice cream joint?"

"As long as you can handle her when she gets a sugar high tonight." She pointed out.

"Fuck." The man groaned knowing full well the implication that came with a sugared up two year old in the middle of the night. It left them equally exhausted the following morning and questioning whether or not another kid in the future would be a good thing for them.

"Fuck!" the child screamed taking both Sonya and Jon by surprise.

She had watched in horror as Jon goes back and forth with consoling their daughter after falling to the ground and teaching her what Jon said was a bad word. She had watched Jon try and fail to make their daughter stop crying and it made her realize that Jon was really trying and she genuinely appreciates everything he does for their daughter especially when she's not around.

"Ice Cream it is." Jon finally decided, eyes not turning back to the phone and looking right back at Sonya. "What do you want for Dinner, by the way?"

"Surprise me." She smiled.

"You cool with Burgers and fries then?"

"You're gonna make them?" she smiled.

"Of course I made them, they're already in the fridge and just need to be grilled." He pointed out as a matter of factly. "You doubt my capabilities sometimes, Babe."