Chapter One~The First Impression

July 11th, 1996

. . .

The night disappeared quickly, and all that stood in its place was sunlight. The bright burning sunlight that shone through a young girls window. The girl still slept as the birds began to chirp outside, perched on the tree branch that rested against her window sill. When the girl heard these birds, she woke up with a grin on her face. 

The girl threw her blankets off her small body, and spun her legs off the bed, sliding her feed into a pair of slippers beside her bed. She ran downstairs, knowing what she'd see. But she reached the bottom, and stopped. The young girl, who was only six, began to tip toe and stay quiet. Soon, pushing the door open, slowly. She peeped her head around the corner. But saw nothing. 

Had they forgot? The girl stepped fully into her living room, looking at the empty space. There was a pair of couches. A beige three-seater, and a matching two-seater. The TV stood solitary in the corner of the room, with its only company being a wooden TV stand and a few family photo's. 'Family' photo's unusual things to call what lasted approximately 10 minutes in a photo shoot. A dark wooden cupboard with china plates displaced. 

China plates. Her dad works at a bank, what does he need china plates for. 

Like every birthday, she sighed. Like every birthday, they'd forgot. 

She knew that they'd forget, they did every year. Daddy was too busy with work to care. And step-mother was too busy drinking a glass of red. "Daddy. Tina?" She called out through the Manchester home. But there was no response, not like six year old Malia expected one. 

She was made to grow up, way too early.

. . .

I was made to grow up too fast. Yes, I was Malia. 

. . .

I looked around the room, maybe they had his my presents, and they were just tricking me. I ran to the cabinet with the plates, and looked in the bottom compartment which held cups and a few books. But nothing. 

I went to the TV, looking behind it to check if they were there. But nothing turned up. I hated that. So, I walked back upstairs. It was around seven in the morning, and everyone was still asleep. But I was awake. I did all that I could. Get back into bed and cry over my forgotten birthday. This wasn't my first, and little to my knowledge it wouldn't be my last. 

              April 23rd, 1997

Seven year old me wasn't really different. But something was about to be, and it would be change my life forever. I sighed, walking down the street with my parents and older brother. It was dark now and we were on our way home from the stupid birthday party that my aunt had thrown for my older cousin. 

She did nothing but pull my hair the whole time I was there. When we reached home, I ran upstairs and threw myself on the bed. Finally, time to get rid of today, and sleep. I sighed heavily into my pillow, taking a single breath when I lift, my head up. 

Within minutes, I was asleep.

It was the smash downstairs that startled me, followed by screaming and shouting. Who was that? "Daddy." I whispered, to myself, I knew that. I slowly swung my legs off the bed. My heart beat faster. Was someone breaking in? I wanted to stay in my room, to lock myself in and hide in the wardrobe. 

But I had never been safe. Instead, I opened my door. The banging echoed through the house, for sure one of the neighbour's had noticed by now. I didn't have a phone, I was seven. I tiptoed further, until I reached the top of my stairs. "The guy runs a bank, he has something somewhere." I heard from the living room. I crept further.