Chapter Nine ~ Fear Her (part two)

Chloe was sleeping now. We were scattered around the living room, collecting and gathering pencils to make sure Chloe couldn't draw anyone else. "Chloe usually got he brunt of his temper. When he's had a drink. The day he crashed the car, I thought we were finally free." Trish said. I found a handful of pencils on the fireplace, and we handed them to Trish. "I thought it was over." She added. "Did you talk to her about it?" Rose asked. "I didn't want to." Trish replied, as Rose sat down. "But... maybe that's why Chloe feels so alone. Cause she has all these terrible dreams about her dad, but she can't talk to you about them." I said. "Her and the Isolus... two lonely kids who need each other." The Doctor added.

"And it won't stop, will it, Doctor? It'll just keep pulling kids in." Rose said. "It's desperate to be loved. It's used to a pretty big family." The Doctor replied. "How big?" I asked. "Say around... four billion?" The Doctor replied. "That's over half of the people of this planet." I gasped. "I know, which is why we need to stop it before takes them." The Doctor replied, before the Doctor jumped up and out the door.

Rose followed quickly and I eventually followed though the door. "Wait, where are you going?" Trish asked, running to the front door. "We'll be back, I promise." I said, as Rose and the Doctor continued to run away. "We need that pod." The Doctor said. "It crashed, won't it be destroyed?" Rose asked. "Well, it's been sucking in all the heat it can... hopefully that should keep it in a fit state to launch." The Doctor replied.

Chloe was watching us from the window, I noticed her outline. "It must be close. It should have a weak energy signature that the TARDIS cam trace. Once we find it, then we can stop the Isolus." The Doctor added. We reached the car park where the TARDIS was parked. As we was approaching it, we continued talking. "We can scan for the same trace we picked up from the scribble creature. Just need to widen to field a bit." He said, as he fished in his pocket for the TARDIS key to open the door.

We entered the TARDIS and the Doctor immediately started to build a strange device. "You knew the Isolus was lonely before it told you. How?" Rose asked. Then the Doctor shoved Rose off the chair and sat down himself. "I know what it's like to travel a long way on your own. Give me the stina magnetic erm..." He nodded towards it violently. "Thing in Rose's left hand!" He added. "Sounds like your on it's side." Rose said. I picked it up and passed it to him. "I sympathize, that's all." The Doctor respinded. "The Isolus has caused a lot of pain for these people." Rose added.

"It's a child!" He added, blowing into the device. "What's why it went to Chloe, two lonely mixed up kids." He blew on it again, then examined it. "Hmm... feels to me like a temper tantrum because it can't get its own way." Rose said. "It's scared! Come on, you were a scared kid once." The Doctor said.

"I still am." I whispered, resulting in him looking at me. "Binary dot." He added. "Yes! And I know what kids can be like. Right little... terrors." Rose said. "Gum." He said, holding his hand out under Rose's mouth. "Ergh!" I gagged, as she spits her gum out into his hand. "I've got cousins. Kids can't have it all their own way. That's part of being a family." Rose said. The Doctor stuck the gum into the device, securing it. "What about trying to understand them?" The Doctor asked. "Easy for you to say. You don't have kids." Rose said, turning away with a slight smile.

"I was a dad once." He said, offhandedly. "What?" I whispered. "What did you say?" Rose turned, stunned. The Doctor didn't seem to notice the effect his words had on Rose and me. He didn't reply.

A dad? He didn't look old enough to have a child. Then it dawned on me. He said he was a dad once. Did that mean he lost a child? But my thinking was cut short by the Doctor.

"I think we're there." He said. "Fear. Loneliness. They're the big ones, Rose. Some of the most terrible acts ever committed have been inspired by them. We're not dealing with something that wants to conquer or destroy." The Doctor said. Rose and I were still reeling from the bombshell he just dropped, but he's carrying on oblivious, pulling levels and pushing buttons. "There's a lot of things you need to get across this Universe." He said. "Warp drive... wormhole refractors..." He added. Rose held out her hand.