Chapter Six ~ The Satan Pit (part one)

The Ood kept advancing towards me, Rose and the others. "Open fire!" Jefferson said. Me and Rose coward against the yellow door, whilst Jefferson and the other crew member shot the three Ood in the exploration deck. The shaking started to lessen slightly. "We're stabilizing..." Zach said. "We've got orbit." He added. Rose stepped over the dead bodies of the Ood and grabbed the communication device once more, impatient to see if the Doctor was okay. "Doctor?" Rose said. But it was just static.

I ran to Toby. "Toby? Toby can you hear me?" I asked, I leaned closer trying to hear a pulse. "He's breathing." I added, turning to Rose. "Doctor, can you hear me?" Doctor? Ida? Are you there?" Rose asked. "Open Door 25." The Computer said. Jefferson and the guard span round, guns raised and ready for whoever was coming through the door. Fortunately, it was only Danny. "It's me!" Danny panicked. "But they're coming." He added, as he locked the door behind him.

"It's the Ood. They've gone mad." Danny added. "How many of them?" Jefferson asked. "All of them? All 50!" Danny replied. Jefferson approached the door. "Danny, out of the way." Jefferson said. Danny didn't move. "Out of the way." He said, with more ferocity, pushing Danny out of the way of the door. "But they're armed! They're da..." Danny was interrupted as Jefferson began to open the door. "It's the interface device. I don't know how, but they're using it as a weapon." Danny continued. Jefferson opened the door, the Ood were stood on the other side of the door. One of them immediately advanced, sticking the communication orb to the guard's forehead. She screamed and slumped to the floor, dead. Jefferson opened fire.

"Oh my God..." I gasped.

"Given the emergency..." Jefferson stated. "I recommend Strategy Nine." He added, through his communication device. "Strategy Nine agreed. Right, we need to get everyone together. Rose? What about Ida and the Doctor? Any word?" Zach asked. Rose shook her head. I could tell how worried she was. Her voice shook as she worried. "I can't get any reply, just... nothing, I keep trying, but it's..."

At this moment, the communication device crackles and the Doctor's voice came through. "No! Sorry, I'm fine. Still here!" He answered. I felt a shadow lift off my heart, as I sighed loudly. "You could've said, you stupid son of a b-"

"Whoa! Careful! Anyway, it's both of us, me and Ida. Hello! But the seal opened up. It's gone. All we've got left is this chasm." The Doctor replied. "How deep is it?" Zach asked. "Can't tell. It look like it goes on forever." The Doctor answered. "'The Pit is Open.'" Rose recalled. "That's what the voice said." Rose said. "But there's nothing? I mean... There's... nothing coming out?" Zach asked. "No, no. No sign of 'the Beast'." I could hear the mockery in his voice. He didn't believe it. "It said 'Satan'." Rose added, obviously concerned. "Come on, Rose. Keep it together." The Doctor replied. ""Is there no such thing?" Rose asked. But he didn't answer. "Doctor?" She asked again.

"Well is there?" I asked. The Doctor still didn't answer. "Ida? I recommend that you withdraw. Immediately." Zach said. "But... we've come all this way!" Ida replied. "Okay, that's an order. With that thing open, the whole planet's shifted. One more inch and we fall into the black hole. So this thing stops right now." Zach continued. "But it's not that much better up there with the Ood." Ida replied. "I'm initiating Strategy Nine, so I need the two of you back up top, immediately, no ar-"

"Ida? IDA?" Zach said, before raising his voice. Ida and the Doctor talk for a while. But I tuned out most of it. "Toby? Toby wake up." I said. I pulled his head on to my lap. "How do we wake him?" I asked. I tuned myself into the conversation, and heard the Doctor talking.

"Oh! Oh, in a second, but then again..." He gave a half laugh. "That is so human. Where angels fear to tread. Even now, standing on the edge. It's that feeling you get. Yeah? Right at the back of your head. That impulse... that strange little impulse... that mad little voice saying 'Go on... go on... go on... go over, go on...', maybe it's relying on that. For once in my life... Officer Scott... I'm going to say..." The Doctor said.