Chapter Seven ~ Satan's Pit (part two)

But it was too late, the gate had already closed. And he was trapped on the wrong side. I gasped. I crawled back. "No, Mr. Jefferson." I shouted banging on the metal door. "Regret to inform, sir... I was a bit slow. Not so fast, these days." Jefferson replied. "I can't open 8.1, John. Not without losing air for the others." Zach replied.

"And quite right so too, sir. I think I bought them a little time." Jefferson added. "She's gone again." I heard Rose say. I heard Toby agree to come back to get me. "We have to get it open. Isn't there something we can do?" I cried. "Come on, Malia." Toby grabbed my shoulder. I punched the metal floor, before crying a little.

"There's nothing I can do, Jefferson." Zach said.. "I'm sorry." He added, quietly. Toby made me squeeze by him, with me being tiny, it was easy to slip past. "Go on, get to the others." Toby sighed. "You've done enough, sir. Made a very good captain under the circumstances." Jefferson replied. We reached back to the others and I slumped against the wall next to Rose. Danny and her were close to tears, whereas I had stopped now. I knew this man no longer than a day, and it felt like I was losing a loved one.

"I ask, if you can't add oxygen to this section... can you speed up the process of its removal?" Jefferson asked. "I don't understand. What do you mean?" Zach asked. "Well... if I might chose the manner of my departure, sir... lack of air seems more natural than... well... let's say... death by Ood." Jefferson replied. We heard the Ood advance over the comm and Jefferson raised his voice. "I'd appreciate it, sir!" He added.

"God speed, Mr Jefferson." Zach replied. "Thank you, sir." Jefferson said. I closed my eyes, letting another tear fall for the death of the elder man. "May every man find more comfort, in the arms of God, than in the arms of life itself." I said, under my breath.

"Report... Officer John Maynard Jefferson PKD... deceased... with honors." Zach said, close to tears, but fighting them for the rest of his crew. We all sat in silence for a few seconds. "43K2.1." Zach continued. "Zach... we're at the final junction. 9.2. And er... if my respects could be on record. He saved out lives." Danny stated. "Noted. Opening 9.2." Zach replied.

The gate opened. To our surprise, the Ood are right behind it waiting for us. We all scrambled backwards. "Lower 9.2. Zach, lower it!" Rose shouted. "Back! Back! Back!" Danny added. "We can't go back! The gang point's sealed off, we're stuck!" Toby panicked. I looked up and notice grilling above my head. "Rose!" I shouted, pointing. "Come on!" She pushed it out of the way. She emerged through the floor of the corridor above. Danny followed.

"Malia! Toby come on!" Rose shouted from above. An Ood grabbed my ankle and tried to pull me back. Toby grabbed my hands, trying his hardest to keep grip on me. Suddenly, he flashed his eyes red to the Ood and they immediately stopped. "Toby?" I whispered. He put his finger over his lips, telling me to shush. "Please... don't tell them." He pleaded. I knew I should have spoke up. I nodded.

"Toby, Malia, get out of there!" Rose shouted. "Go on." Toby pushed me to go up. Then I grabbed his hand to help him out. I guess Rose saw the look on my face. "You okay?" She asked. I saw Toby stood behind her, with pleading eyes that could have sent me crazy. "Fine, that was just a close one." I smiled. "Welcome to my world." She returned with a smile.

More Ood approached from one end of the corridor. Danny ran the other way. "It's this way." Danny said, as he ran. We all followed, with the Ood not far behind. "Hurry up!" Zach added. We busted through the door of Ood Habitation and run over to the monitor. The Ood already inside looked up to our arrival. "Get it in!" Rose panicked. "Danny, get down." Toby also panicked.

"Transmit!"

"I'm trying, I'm trying! I'm getting at it..." Danny replied.

"Stop them!" Toby said. He grabbed me and pulled me to the ground to cower with him. He kept his hands over my head and protected me. I felt like I couldn't breath. It was warm in his arms, but an uncomfortable warmth. The one that stopped your breath. But he was trying to save me.