Chapter Ten ~ Home Time

Upon waking, I buried myself in the soft sheets. Then I shot up, headbutting something as I did. "Ow!" He said. My eyes still hadn't adjusted to the little light. It was the warm soft glow from the lamp on my bedside table. "Uh, sorry." I said, rubbing my head as my eyes adjusted to the light. "Doctor?" I asked. "Of course." He smiled.

I was sat in my bed, not yet noticing I wasn't where I fell. "What happened?" I asked. "You passed out." The Doctor replied. I scrunched my face up, trying to remember what had made me pass out. I massaged the back of my neck with the palm of my hand. The room felt overwhelming. "Hey, you okay?" He asked. "Yeah, there's just some things that are blurry. Like they don't fit together." I said. "What's the last thing you remember?" He asked. "Um... you, saying my name. Then I fell." I recalled.

"Anything else?" The Doctor asked.

And it's going to take YOU!

"No. Nothing." I lied. "You sure?" He asked. I thought for a moment. I let my mind wonder, maybe if I just told him. Maybe he'd be able to help me. "Yeah, I'm fine." I smiled, trying to cover my lies. "Good." He said. The Doctor stood off my bed and scratched his head. Then he looked down at me, straight in my eyes, as if they would give him a clue. Like they would speak a thousand truths where my mouth would speak lies.

"What?" I asked, looking to the Doctor as he towered over me. "Promise me. Promise me, you're okay." He said. "I promise, Doctor." I smiled. With one more quick glance behind him, the Doctor left, leaving me again to my solitary room.

I looked around the room, taking in the antiquities. When you're in the TARDIS, it's easy to forget that these pieces of art were most definitely real. A real Van Gogh on the wall.

A genuine first year Shok'ol on the bedside table next to the lamp. Shok'ol was famous throughout the Universe, said to be the most famous artist from Zadus 217, which I am still yet to visit. The Zadiuns are a species with close connections with the Ry'leh, they're closest neighbouring planet. They have skin that was described by the Doctor as "blue like the arctic ice". Unlike my home, this planet was large, with a population of 600 billion people, all with different shades of blue skin, normally the younger they are the lighter their skin is, but there are Zadiuns who keep light blue skin.

My bed had plenty of room for me to stretch, even though I was very tiny. But nonetheless, I fell back into it, tossing and turning in the thick covers and layers of blankets. I was just about to lay back in bed, when I heard something at my door. At first it sounded like people rustling around, like the shuffling of feet. "Who's there?" I asked. I heard whispering, but it was too quiet for me to make out. Suddenly, something was posted under the door, a letter on off-white paper. When the scuffling of moving feet had moved away from me, I threw the covers off me and jumped out of bed. I pressed my ear against my door that was closed, the voices were still here but they were away from me now.

So, I crouched down on the floor and picked up the piece of paper. I slowly unfolded it, making sure I was careful not to tear the delicate paper. I opened up the paper.

"Get ready, it's going to be hot there, wear something to keep cool. :)"

I smiled. "Why couldn't they have just asked?" I giggled, shaking my head. I ran to the wardrobe in my room, searching for a pair of shorts and a shirt that'll keep me cool.

A little while passed and I began staring at myself in the mirror. "What am I doing?" I asked. It had only just kicked in on how stupid I was being. "Space travel. Time travel." This was bizarre.

"Oh my God, Chase?!" I froze up, dropping the hair brush in my hand. I was seventeen, did I really want to do this? This was a dream come true, everyone wants to travel the stars, but no one knew the dangers. I almost got trapped on a nightmare planet with The Devil himself and yet here I stood not caring about that. They were dangerous.