Chapter 27: It's Not Easy

Thursday
4 Days Before the Tour

"Gunnar I give it an eight!" Nikki shouts from the grill.

We were having a mini pool party in Nikki's backyard. He was grilling hamburgers while helping me judge a cannonball contest between the kids.

"I give it a nine!" I say to Gunnar from the opposite side of the pool.

The sun was beating down so hard that I gave up on tanning to join the kids in the pool, even if it meant getting splashed.

"Yes!" Gunnar cheers climbing out of the pool to get back in line behind Decker.

I loved how even though Gunnar was getting older, he still found it fun to hang out with his family.

That's something I kind of resent my older siblings for. As soon as the teenage years hit they were never at the house leaving me to deal with our parents alone.

"My turn, my turn!" Decker shouts readying himself for his turn.

He's much smaller than Gunnar, so he probably won't make as big of a splash. Regardless I admire his determination.

Decker runs hard and jumps high before he lands in the water. The splash moves the whole pool, and it actually seems like he outdid his brother.

"Nine!" Nikki says before pointing at me "look you even got Kaia wet!"

Decker pumps his fist in celebration, then looks at me earnestly in wait for my answer.

I smirk at him as I wipe the water droplets from my face "I'm gonna have to give it a ten."

"Wohoo" Decker says storming out of the pool.

"Not fair!" Gunnar complains "this is rigged."

"Better luck next time!" Decker says sticking his tongue out to him.

"Why are boys so dumb?" Storm asks swimming around me. She had given up on the contest a long time ago.

"That's a good question." I laugh leaning my head back into the water.

...

After eating the kids were exhausted so Decker and Storm watched tv in the living room, while Gunnar went upstairs to play on his DS.

I had watched tv with them for a while, until I decided to go back outside and try again on my tan.

I slipped back into my hot pink bikini and put my flip flops on before heading towards the pool.

When I opened the double doors, I spotted Nikki sitting near the pool with his guitar in his lap. He was scribbling in a notebook and had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.

As I walked towards him I realized he was without a shirt, which made my knees a little wobbly as I approached where he sat.

"Feeling inspired?" I ask leaning my hands on the table in front of him.

He sucks on the tip of the cigarette and blows the smoke out before responding "yes actually I am."

I take the cigarette from him after he disposes of the ashes in the nearby tray and put it in my mouth.

"Anything good?" I ask after blowing out the smoke.

He looks my body up and down after I hand him back his cigarette "everything I write is good baby."

"Cocky Nikki is in the house!" I laugh "can I hear some of it?"

"I don't quite know the chords yet." He sighs setting his guitar to side "but you can read it." He says grabbing my arm and pulling me towards him.