Chapter 28: I Don't Wanna

Mature Content

"I hope everyone likes bolognese." Lane says setting the last serving dish down "and there's salad as well."

"This all looks delicious babe." My dad says leaning over to kiss her on the cheek.

She smiles at him before saying "feel free to take what you would like."

My dad starts off by spooning some pasta on to his plate before passing it to me.

I do the same as him then hand it over to Nikki.

We were sitting in Lane's overly decorated dinning room. She was at the end of the table with my dad beside her, then me, then Nikki.

I felt very uncomfortable in this setting, and I couldn't quite figure out why.

Watercolor paintings filled the walls around us, as well as a glass chandelier on the ceiling. At the center of the table was a vase of fake flowers that just made it seem like she was trying too hard.

"Salad Kaia?" Nikki asks with the bowl in his hands.

"Yeah sure." I nod absentmindedly.

He gives me a side smirk before putting some on my plate for me.

"Thank you." I say smiling at him before he sets the bowl back on the table.

"This might be inappropriate." Lane says laughing and playing with the napkin on her lap "but you guys look so cute together, almost like a couple."

Suddenly I wished the chandelier would just drop on the table. Fucking Lane is gonna ruin everything.

"Oh don't go there." My dad laughs uncomfortably.

"You're funny." Nikki shakes his head before taking a bite of garlic bread. He's always been good at acting nonchalant, unlike me.

"Yeah" I add feeling my cheeks blush "I wasn't expecting to hear that."

"Your gonna make me throw my food up." My dad says sipping his water.

"Lighten up guys." Lane says rubbing my dad's shoulder "it was just a joke."

"Just the wrong crowd." I fake laugh and look down at my plate.

I can feel Nikki give my thigh a reassuring squeeze.

"Kaia's too pretty for me anyway." Nikki says looking straight at Lane with his hand still on my thigh.

"Oh yeah right." I say setting my fork down and looking at him.

"Maybe just too old." My dad says laughing at his own joke.

Nikki rolls his eyes "okay sure Vince."

"Oh my gosh let's drop this subject." I say nervously.

"Agreed." My dad says picking at his food.

"Sorry guys." Lane shrugs "it was a bad joke."

...

The rest of dinner was kinda awkward after Lane's comment. Lane mostly just asked my dad and Nikki what tour was gonna be like, while I just stayed quiet.

From time to time Nikki would squeeze my thigh to reassure me that everything was gonna be okay.

My dad seemed so oblivious anyway that I doubt Lane's comment would give him any ideas.

I hoped not at least.

"So you guys drove together again?" Lane asks as she and my dad walk us out.