Chapter 33: Table Talk

"What are you guys doing here?" I gulp.

I look over at my mother who is sitting at the end of the table. Among the others, the person next to my mom was my once step mother Sharise.

She said she would always be my second mom, but I hadn't talked to her in a while.

Next to Sharise was her friend Bobbie who I had met a couple times, but didn't know that well. She used to date Tommy so I guess she fit into the group.

The last person at the table was the person that concerned me the most. I hadn't met her till a couple weeks ago, and I didn't know she even knew my mother.

However both their ex husbands were in the same band, but they were married at different times. So it wasn't impossible. It was just something I had hopped wasn't true.

Brandi sat next to Bobbie with her hands intertwined on the table, while looking back and fourth between my mother and me.

"Why don't you sit down honey." Sharise is the first one to speak.

I stare wide eyed at the group before eventually complying and taking a seat in front of them.

My mom had a big farm style table that allowed them to all sit at one side, while I was the only one on the other side.

It made me feel like I was about to be interrogated.

There's no way this could be good.

"Mom what's going on?" I ask looking towards her.

I wanted to believe that everything was fine and that they just wanted to make small talk.

But with the intense look on all their faces I knew that wouldn't be the case.

"She's still in a little bit of shock." Sharise says calmly.

"Why?" I ask her barley audible from fear of the answer.

This can't be about Nikki, there's no way. Sharise never even knew we were staying at his house.

But Brandi did.

Still though there's no way she could have found out, me and Nikki were always so careful when we knew she was coming.

Maybe I'm just over reacting and this is related to something completely different.

"I think you know." Sharise says in her still calm tone.

"I don't think I do." I stutter, not believable at all.

Sharise sighs and looks toward Brandi "why don't you tell Kaia what you told us."

If possible my eyes go even wider as I look at Brandi, who's eyes focus on mine.

My palms were starting to sweat, what did Brandi tell them?

The look on her face seemed almost sad, like she was gonna say what she had to in a sympathetic way.

"About a week ago." Brandi coughs a little bit. "After I picked up the kids from Nikki's, Storm forgot her favorite stuffed animal-"

"Wally." I mutter remembering how she would lug that thing all over the house, and how she cried when Decker got orange juice on it.

"Yes." She nods continuing her story "Storm begged me to turn around and go get him, and so I did."

She sighs as she continues "Seeing Nikki, especially two times in one day isn't my favorite thing. So I was just gonna sneak in really quick and grab Wally from her room."

I run my fingers through my hair trying to think about where this could be leading.

When she got the kids last it was right after me and Nikki had a fight, but we made up and then-