three

"don't call me "baby" again, you got your reasons, i know that you're tryna be friends, i know you mean it" - To Be So Lonely / Harry Styles

---

-Violet-

It had been a few days since my last run-in with Luke, and we had stayed true to our deal. In all honesty, I had felt some guilt about how I had acted towards him. It was probably unfair, and he was right, I didn't know him. I just got so flustered when he was around.

I was heading back to my apartment after a particularly exhausting day at my internship, ready to kick back and do absolutely nothing. When I got to my door I dug through my purse, trying to find my keys. I heard the sound of a speaker starting up, and then music filled the hallway. I turned around and saw the boys' door open, with "Teenage Dream" blasting from their speaker.

I stepped just a little closer, trying to see what was going on. Inside, Luke and the other two boys were standing around their counter, eating pizza. I was about to turn around again when I heard off-key singing, as all three started to sing-along to Katy Perry. They danced around the counter, strumming at air guitars and banging on invisible drums. Their scream-singing drowned out the original song, and it was actually wildly entertaining.

At one point, Luke hoisted himself up and stood on the counter, singing out to an invisible crowd. He broke out a particularly awkward dance move, and I couldn't help the laugh that burst out of my mouth. Luke finally looked out into the hallway, still singing as he made eye contact with me. He gave me a smirk, and I felt a small smile spread on my face, before I quickly looked away and went into my own apartment.

Sydney and Ashton were sitting in the living room, watching Netflix. I joined Ashton on the couch, sighing, "Remind me again why I thought taking an unpaid internship was a good idea?"

Sydney chuckled from the other chair, "Because you're certifiably insane. Then again, I thought it would be fun to own my restaurant, so I guess if you belong in a nut-house then so do I."

As if on cue, Sydney's cell phone started ringing, and she groaned loudly before answering it and going into her bedroom to get some privacy. I looked over at Ashton, " I assume things are going as smoothly as ever over there."

He nodded slowly, "Yeah.. We're really living the dream."

I frowned, "You know, you could just talk to her and tell her you don't want to do this as a career."

Ashton shook his head, "That would break her heart, and I can't do that to her. Besides, I'm fine, I just need a break from all that stress every now and then."

"Tell me about it," I nodded, "I just need some completely mindless fun, if I have to think about coffee or editing photos anymore I'll lose my mind."

Ashton shifted on the couch, turning himself to face me completely, "Well why don't we do that? Go have some mindless fun, I mean."

I nodded, "Yeah sure, we can ask Sydney what she wants to do, maybe grab a bite to eat."

"Actually, I was thinking it could maybe be just the two of us?" He looked at me expectantly, with hopeful eyes.

"Oh," I spoke hesitantly, "You mean... Like a date or something?"

I could feel my heart beating a little faster. I had known Ashton probably had some kind of feelings for me, but I honestly never expected him to act on them. I didn't even know how to react. I didn't want to lead him on in any way, and I really did not have the time for a relationship.