nine

"need me, until you've had your fun, use me when you get lonely, we all get lonely, you're not the only one" - We All Get Lonely / The Wrecks

---

-Violet-

I woke up to the faint sound of my phone ringing somewhere on the floor.  I lifted my head up, immediately cringing at the stiffness in my neck. Right, I spent the entire night sleeping on a couch.

I tried to sit up all the way, and was met with groans from Luke, half-asleep next to me. His arms were still wrapped around my waist, "Just let it ring."

I yawned, laughing a little, "Good morning to you too. It's been a while since I've woken up next to anyone who wasn't Sydney."

A small smile formed on Luke's face, "I don't know if I should feel honored, or maybe a little jealous of Sydney."

Finally, the phone stopped ringing. Right away, though, it lit up again. I started to get worried, "Oh, they're calling again? Okay, this might actually be important."

I pulled myself away from Luke completely, bending over to pick up my phone from the floor. I saw my supervisor's name on the screen, and panic started to set in. I answered it, trying to stay calm, "Hello?"

The voice on the other end was anything but calm, "You're late. The emergency meeting started fifteen minutes ago. Get here, now."

Before I could say anything else, the call was ended. I took a deep breath, and then let the panic officially begin. I quickly grabbed my clothes off of the floor, "Okay, shit, this is bad. You need to go, like now."

I couldn't believe I had forgotten. I had gotten an email from my supervisor yesterday about an emergency meeting we were supposed to have today at the office. I had even put it in my calendar, and somehow managed to forget. 

Luke sat up slowly, confusion on his face, "Why, what's going on?

I ignored his question, running down the hall to my own bedroom. I threw on the first clothes I could find that looked somewhat put together, and ran a brush through my hair. I caught a close-up of myself in the mirror and frowned, desperately trying to rub off the smudged mascara from the night before.

I made my way back out into the living room, hands full of everything I needed for the meeting. Luke was still sitting on the couch. I groaned, "I'm serious, you need to leave."

He stood up finally, "Do I at least get an explanation? I'd like to know if I did something wrong, if that's why you're kicking me out."

I rolled my eyes, feeling a headache setting in. I pressed my fingers to my temples, "No. I mean yes, but no, not really. It's not your fault. I forgot about a meeting for my internship, I'm super late, and I have to leave, now."

When Luke still didn't move from his spot, I started picking up his clothes for him. He still looked confused, "A meeting? On Thanksgiving? That seems a but unnecessary."

I shoved the pile of clothes into his arms, pushing him backwards towards the door, "Well, as it turns out, journalists don't really care about holidays. Thanks for the company, really. We can talk about this later. Bye."

Before Luke could say anything else, I opened the door and nudged him out into the hallway. I slammed the door shut again, leaning up against it with a sigh. After a few short moments I gathered up my things and went out into the hallway myself. Luke was already gone. I tried to clear my mind, shoving my heels onto my feet as I jogged down the hall towards the elevator.