nineteen

"i lose my voice when i look at you, can't make a noise though i'm trying to, tell you all the right words, waiting on the right words" - Black Butterflies and Deja Vu / The Maine

---

-Violet-

As soon as I woke up and realized what day it was, I smiled to myself, nudging Luke's sleeping body next to me. When all I got in response was a groan, I nudged him harder, "Wake up, birthday boy."

Luke turned over to look at me, but sighed, "The first thing that I want for my birthday is a few more minutes of sleep. Or maybe hours."

I rolled my eyes, laughing lightly. Even if he wasn't acting like it, I knew Luke had to be at least a little bit excited for his birthday. At least, as long as he could get past the issues he was still having with his family. A few days earlier, he had mentioned how his mother was the only one who had reached out to ask about seeing him today. Even though he tried to put up a charade, I knew it bugged him that he still wasn't on speaking terms with his father.

On the bright side, though, he was bringing me along to dinner with his mom so that we could finally meet. It was a big step for us, and I just wanted to make sure I made a good impression. It was easier said than done, though, considering how anxious I felt. Things felt like they were getting more and more serious between us every day.

I rolled out of my bed finally, pulling Luke into a sitting position, "C'mon, we both need to make sure we are ready to meet your mom later. This is a big deal. I don't want to be late or a mess when I meet her."

Luke gave me a small smile, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, "Will you relax? My mom is not that judgmental. Trust me, you won't need to try that hard to make a good impression. At least not as hard as I had to try with you."

"Very funny, I'll let that one slide because it's your birthday," I turned away, looking into my closet at the dress options I had, "But this is still important to me."

Luke stood up and walked over to me, wrapping his arms around me from behind, "I could really get used to this Violet. The one who's finally throwing caution to the wind and actually letting herself open up to me, that is."

I turned around so I was face-to-face with him, looking up at the goofy smile on his face, "Well, I could too. It's refreshing, actually. I can't remember the last time I ever felt this way."

"And that is why you don't have to worry about meeting her. She's going to see how great you are instantly, just like I did. Maybe without all the initial bickering, though."

I chuckled a little, placing my hands on Luke's chest, "I just want everything to be perfect for you today. I'm sorry if it seems like a bit much."

He shook his head, "No, of course not. This is why I..."

Luke trailed off suddenly, eyes going a little wider than usual. I furrowed my eyebrows, "What? Why you what?"

He cleared his throat, "Why I... Didn't expect anything less from you. I know how much you like to make sure things are perfect, even something as harmless as meeting my mom. I'm gonna go start getting ready. I'll meet up with you before dinner, okay?"

He leaned down and gave me a quick kiss, stepping out of the room quickly before I could get a chance to respond. I sighed, shaking my head as I watched his figure step out of the doorway. At this point, I knew better than to question Luke's weird behavior. I was just hoping it was because of his family issues, and didn't have anything to do with me.