twelve

"it's just you and i tonight, why don't you figure my heart out?" - Heart Out / The 1975

---

-Luke-

I strolled out into the kitchen, humming while I grabbed myself a coffee mug, "Morning boys."

Michael gave me a strange look while I poured lukewarm coffee from the pot into my cup, "What's got you in such a good mood this morning?"

I shrugged, "What do you mean? I can't just be pleasant in the morning without you acting weird about it?"

Calum chimed in from the living room, "You aren't exactly a morning person, Luke. Excuse us for being slightly thrown off."

As if on cue, Violet appeared from the hallway, wearing one of my t-shirts and a pair of her own pajama shorts. She was rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, and stopped in her tracks when she noticed Michael and Calum's presence. She looked over at me, sort of like a deer in headlights. We usually tried to avoid having run-ins like this.

Michael nodded slowly from his seat at the counter, "Right, that makes a lot more sense."

Violet walked over to stand next to me, looking like she wanted to have some coffee herself but not wanting to impose. I just wrapped an arm around her waist, giving her a grin, "Okay, you caught me. I may have had some good company."

She smirked at me before turning her attention back to Michael and Calum, giving them a small wave, "Hey, guys. Nice to see you."

They both gave quick waves in return, neither one looking up from their phones. Violet looked up at me, obviously signaling for some help. I cleared my throat, "So, we were wondering if you guys wanted to-"

"Actually, Michael and I have a thing," Calum stood up suddenly, grabbing his coat, "We don't want to be late so we should get going."

Michael nodded along slowly, following Calum's lead, "He's right, we should head out. Have fun you two."

I opened my mouth to protest but they were out the door before I could. And that was why we usually tried to avoid them. Violet groaned loudly, resting her elbows on the counter and putting her head in her hands, "I told you, they hate me."

"They don't hate you, don't be dramatic," I laughed lightly, trying to ease the tension, "They just don't know you. Up until now, they only knew you as the mean neighbor."

Violet sat up, giving me a dirty look. She looked like she was ready to slap me and I held my hands up in defense, "Their words! Not mine."

She just rolled her eyes, walking to the other side of the counter and falling onto a stool in defeat. I poured her a cup of coffee for herself, sliding it across the counter, "On the bright side, they left! Now we have the whole day to ourselves, neither of us are working. We should do something fun."

She sipped her coffee slowly, scrunching her nose up at the temperature, "Well I was hoping to try and bond with those idiots so that I didn't have to hide in your room every time they were home. What did you have in mind?"

I felt my phone vibrate from my pocket. It was a text from my parents. I sighed a little after reading it, putting it back down on the counter and deciding not to respond. Violet gave me a condescending look over her mug, "Well? What do they want? Is it about Christmas?"

I felt my eyebrows furrow in surprise, "How did you know it was my parents?"

She laughed a little, "You only sigh like that when they try to contact you."