six

"do i wanna know, if this feeling flows both ways? sad to see you go, was sorta hoping that you'd stay" - Do I Wanna Know? / Arctic Monkeys

---

-Luke-

"Cal, I don't know how you managed to get the boss to agree to let us have a shift together, but this is great." I sat down at the stool behind the desk, grinning at my friend. After I had worked with Calum on my very first day at the record store, and we had gotten a couple of customer complaints, our boss had tried his best to never put us on the schedule together. He must have been feeling generous, though, because here we were together.

He laughed, "Well, who knows. Maybe if we don't screw around too much, we won't have to be separated like two kids who can't stop talking in class."

"Oh, so like what happened in Sophomore year biology?"

"Yeah, just like that," Calum started to weave through the displays of records and CDs, "I'm gonna run downstairs and check inventory real quick, try not to burn this place to the ground while I'm gone, will you?"

"I make no promises." I gave him a wink and he rolled his eyes as he went downstairs. I looked out over the store, not being able to help the smile spreading over my face. I really was lucky to have gotten this job. It may not have been my dream to make minimum wage and work with some pretentious snobs, but I did love music. I loved being able to come in and put on different records, try and discover some new music.

It was really a fun place to work, and for once I actually wanted to try and keep my job. I knew that was typically a challenge for me, so I had been working my hardest to not screw around or show up late. It was going well, so far. Calum was pretty sure I was even going to get a raise soon.

I heard the bell on the door ring as someone walked in. They kept their head down, focused on the shelves packed with records. I tilted my head to the side, immediately recognizing the head of brown hair, "Violet?"

She looked up, eyes widening, "Luke? What are you doing here?"

"Living the dream, can't you tell?" I motioned to the sales counter I was still seated behind. 

"I didn't know you worked here. I come in here pretty often, I must've just missed you." She looked back down, thumbing through the rack in front of her.

I nodded, "Yeah, I haven't been here that long. Calum got me the job, he's worked here for like a year."

An awkward silence fell over the nearly-empty store. I looked away from Violet, drumming my fingers on the counter and trying to think of what to say. We hadn't seen each other in a few days, not since I had showed up at her door on accident. Well, what I hoped had seemed like an accident. I had barely drank that night, and by the time I got back to the apartment all I wanted was an excuse to see her again. I thought she would find it funny, after the day in the elevator, but apparently I was wrong.

As if on cue, Violet spoke up again, "So, uhm, I think I owe you an apology. I'm sorry if I was rude the other night. It had nothing to do with you, really. I was just having a bad day."

I looked back up at her again, "Oh, really? I mean, no worries. I barely remember it, you know. Don't worry, I'll try not to make a habit of showing up at your door anymore."