twenty-seven

"when life's getting rough, and when i feel like giving up, when i'm falling in love, and when that love ain't enough" - Panic Vertigo / The Wrecks

---

-Violet-

I heard Luke sigh longingly through the other end of the phone, "All I'm saying is, it's totally unfair that I have to work tonight and you have to work tomorrow night. We've barely seen each other since your birthday last week."

I laughed lightly from my desk at internship, "Listen, you don't have to tell me how much it sucks. I can't wait until I can find a real job with somewhat normal hours, and actually enjoy some free time for once. If I never pour another cup of coffee again it'll be too soon."

"Having you almost all-to-myself sounds like a dream. How's that job search going again?"

I sighed, scrolling through my emails again, "It's going. Hopefully something will come up soon."

"I don't see why anyone wouldn't want you working for them. You're incredible."

I smiled to myself, "Well, maybe I should start using you as a reference. Anyway, I've gotta go, I have a couple more things to do before I head out for the night. See you later, love you."

"Love you too."

I hung up, and started to turn my attention back to the pile of paperwork in front of me. Before I could get far, though, my supervisor walked over to my desk, standing over me with an indifferent look on his face. I gave him a nervous smile, "Is there anything you need from me before I go?"

He sighed, "Violet, I'm very sorry to have to tell you this, but we are going to have to terminate your internship. We will need you to stop coming in within the next couple of weeks."

I felt my mouth fall open involuntarily, "Wait, what? I thought I was doing so well, what went wrong?"

He shook his head quickly, "It has nothing to do with your work here. In fact, we are all very impressed with everything you've done. The fact of the matter is, you've been an intern here for nearly a year, and it's just time for you to move on so we can welcome someone else into your position."

I nodded slowly, although I still felt like I was having trouble processing his words, "Oh, right. That makes sense. I guess I can understand that."

He was frowning down at me, clearly sensing my disappointment, "Look, if we could offer you a real job, we absolutely would. We just don't need any new hires right now, and we don't have the resources to accommodate one. I know this doesn't make this news any easier, but we will obviously give you a wonderful recommendation and hopefully help you find a real job where you can thrive."

I forced a smile, trying not to be too immature about the situation, "Of course. Thank you for everything, and for the opportunity. I guess I'll start gathering my things together this week."

He nodded and walked away from my desk, leaving me alone with my panic. I quickly grabbed my purse and started to leave for the day, no longer feeling like I could be there and act normal. When I got in the elevator, I felt like I was underwater, moving slowly through the motions. This couldn't be happening, not when I didn't have anything new in place yet. Obviously I was confident that I would get a job, but what if all the work I had done here wasn't enough? What if I still couldn't get my dream job after all the sacrifices I had made over the past year?

When I got onto the street, I started walking back to the apartment in a daze. I was so distracted I accidentally bumped shoulders with a few people passing by, receiving disgruntled looks from them. I could feel my heart pounding throughout my whole body, and it was taking everything in me to try and remain calm while I walked.