seven

"everything has changed, i know, it's like it ain't the same no more" - Come Around / Hoodie Allen

---

-Violet-

Sydney was looking at me with a wide grin, pleased with the fact that she thought she was right. She took a slow sip from her coffee mug, looking at me over it, "I don't mean to say I told you so, but, I did. I told you so."

I rolled my eyes at her smugness. It had been a couple of days since I had seen Luke at the record store, and I was finally filling Sydney in on what had happened while I was there. I shook my head, "You're wrong, Syd. It was just an isolated incident. We both just got caught up in the moment with the song playing and everything. I don't have any feelings for him. Besides, we're complete opposites, we would never work."

She raised her eyebrows at me, obviously not buying it, "Right, you're clearly not attracted to him. That's why you almost kissed him in the middle of an empty record store. Makes complete sense."

I sighed, taking a seat at the counter next to her, "Look, I guess I can't say there's nothing there. But it doesn't matter, I'm not looking to date anyone right now. I don't have the time, and I can't be invested with some boy if I'm going to focus on getting a good job. And even if I was, it certainly wouldn't be with Luke. He may not be the complete jerk I thought he was, but that doesn't change the fact that he's not good for me."

"Screw being good, you can't ignore the way you feel." Sydney gave me another condescending look.

"Well, even if I did feel something, I can easily ignore it. Look, I'm doing it right now." I gave her a smirk.

This time, Sydney rolled her eyes, "Great. By the way, if you don't feel anything, then why are you suddenly so interested in telling Ashton you don't like him in that way?"

I stayed silent for a moment. She may have had a point, but only a small one. I was going to hang out with Ashton today. We were just going to walk around Boston for a little bit, but I only asked him to come out with me so I could tell him that I just wanted to stay friends. I knew it was going to be a little difficult, but it was for the best.

I finally looked back over at Sydney, "That has nothing to do with Luke. I just don't want to lead Ashton on or make him think that something is going to happen when it's not. I don't want to ruin our friendship or make things weird in the apartment. That's all this is, I'm just going to be honest with him about it."

She looked like she was going to keep arguing with me about it, but kept her mouth shut as Ashton walked out into the kitchen. He gave us both a smile, "Morning. Are you ready to head out Vi?"

I forced a smile, "Yep, let's go." I grabbed my purse and a light jacket as we headed out, looking back at Sydney one more time before I shut the door. She just shook her head at me before going out of view. 

When we stepped out of the building, I realized I barely needed my jacket. It was surprisingly warm for November. The sun was shining brightly, reflecting off of the skyscrapers around us in glittering lights, illuminating the city below it. The sidewalks were filled with people, and some small animals on leashes rushing by us with owners jogging behind them. I smiled involuntarily, soaking in the beautiful day. 

I heard Ashton laugh lightly beside me. I looked over at him, "What?"

He shook his head, smiling, "Nothing, you just look really pretty when you smile like that."