sixteen

"baby if you're gonna be lonely, be lonely with me" - Lonely With Me / Parachute

---

-Luke-

"You're really not going to tell me anything about where we're going?" I laughed lightly as Violet threw my duffel bag into the back of her car.

"What part of me taking you on a secret weekend trip don't you understand? Now get in and stop asking me stupid questions." Violet smirked at me as she walked over to the driver's side and climbed in.

I knew better than to try and argue with her, especially when she was trying to do something nice for me. She could tell that, even though I had finally told her about Christmas, everything that happened with my family was still bothering me. It had been well over a month, but I couldn't stop picturing my dad's face as he yelled at me and blamed me for Jack's death.

So, Violet had surprised me with a weekend trip for Valentine's Day, and to help me relax and get my mind off things. I appreciated the attempt, and was honestly really hoping it would work. I wanted to try and move past what happened that day, but it was hard to do that when it was all I thought about. 

This weekend would be good for both of us, I hoped. We spent as much time together as we could, but we were both so busy that it was hard to find the free time we both needed. Violet, especially, seemed to be spread way too thin. I was surprised she was even willing to take a whole weekend off, but I certainly wasn't going to complain that she wanted to spend it with me.

We drove in a peaceful silence, apart from the music coming from the speakers connected to Violet's phone. A song by The Wrecks came on, and Violet's face lit up, "Wow, what a great song." 

She grinned as she turned the volume dial up, letting the loud music fill the car. She started loudly singing along, drumming her fingers on the steering wheel, "I just wanna know, when the hell did love go out of style."

I couldn't take my eyes off of her, feeling a wide smile forming on my face. Her eyes were filled with an excitement I loved seeing, especially with all the stress I knew she was under. There was a grin stuck on her face as she sang, keeping her eyes fixed on the road. Moments like these, I still found it ridiculous that she choose me.

Violet caught me staring, looking over at me with a slight flush in her cheeks, "What? Why are you staring like that?"

I just shook my head, still smiling, "Oh, nothing. You're just really incredible, that's all."

The redness in her cheeks brightened, and she turned the volume back down again, clearing her throat, "So, uhm, you remember that night I brought you home from the bar? You were pretty drunk, I was kind of just wondering how much of the night you remembered."

I shrugged, "Well, not much honestly. I do remember you coming to get me, and talking to you outside the bar. I don't remember going back to your apartment, though, so I was surprised when I woke up there."

Her eyes shifted between me and the road in front of her for a few brief seconds, "Oh, okay. I'm glad you at least remember us talking."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Why? Did something weird happen at your place?"

She paused again, but recovered quickly, "Nope, nothing weird. Besides you being extra cuddly."

She laughed lightly, easing the awkward tension that had somehow filled the car. I got the feeling, though, that I had done something that I didn't remember. When we woke up the next morning, she had a brief look of panic in her eyes, but it had gone away quickly, and she hadn't brought it up since then. I wish I knew what I had said or done, but it seemed like it wasn't important enough for Violet to make a big deal about it.