twenty-five

"you know i talk too much, honey come put your lips on mine and shut me up" - Talk Too Much / COIN

---

-Violet-

I shook my head at Sydney as she held up two different shirts in the mirror, "Syd, are we really going to pretend this whole 'getting ready for our double date together' thing isn't completely high school behavior?"

Syd turned back around to face me and gave me a condescending look, "No, we are fully aware of how silly this whole thing is. However, we're doing it, because I need to have some fun and I don't want to choose between my best friend and my... boyfriend-type thing."

I rolled my eyes, "You've been seeing each other for like basically two months now. I think it's okay to call Michael your boyfriend. As weird as that seems."

She shrugged and sat down next to me on her bed, where I had been for the past half hour while she rummaged in her closet. She took in the mess she had made, "Well, that seems like a problem for later. Anyway, it still kind of feels like we're just having fun. Which is fine, I don't give a shit about labels or anything. Besides, you're one to talk about being weird, miss 'I won't even consider the idea of moving in with my boyfriend'."

I frowned at her, "Can you blame me? Sure, we've been going out for over half a year, and we've been into each other longer than that, but that's too big of a step. It doesn't matter anyway, we both decided to drop it, we're good."

Sydney clicked her tongue and gave me a sideways glance, "Sometimes, things like this aren't about time, they're about how you feel. That's why I don't care if Michael and I don't make anything official, because I don't know if I feel like that's where we are. The question is, do you feel like things with Luke are in a place where you could see yourself living with him?"

I stared at her, trying to look inwards and think about what the answer to that question really was. Before I even had a chance to figure it out, though, I heard my phone ding. I opened up the email I had received, smiling to myself, "Table that for later, Syd."

She sighed and stood up, going back to her pile of clothes, "What? Another email from your supervisor?"

"Yep. Another online article going up tomorrow with some of my pictures in it."

Since the article had been published where they needed to use my photos, my supervisor at internship had been allowing me to work on more and more real articles. The May issue had some of my photos in it, and some of the online articles posted on the magazine's website had used my photos as well. I had even been starting to get some job offers, although none were for a magazine like I wanted, so I made the decision to turn them down. Even if a real job was what I needed right now, I had faith that I would get an offer that I actually wanted soon enough.

Sydney furrowed her eyebrows, "I don't understand why the magazine doesn't just offer you a job. You already work there for free, what's the big deal with giving you a salary?"

"Well, they don't need another hire right now, as far as they told me. Sure, they're willing to take someone on who'll work for just experience, but they don't have the resources to pay another photographer that they don't actually need."

She nodded as she picked up a random shirt, finally settling on a decision, "Well, that's lame. Who needs them anyway? You're going to get so many great offers."

"Here's hoping." I stood up, smoothing out some of the wrinkles in my tank top. At that moment, I was feeling particularly grateful that Luke and I were in a place where silly disagreements wouldn't make things weird between us. I was worried, though, that this one would spiral out of control eventually.