38 | Babysitter

You drove home, your knuckles white with the force of your grip on the steering wheel, your eyes unwaveringly trained on the road in front of you. 

You flinched as your phone rang loudly in your pocket. You yanked it out, answering it with shaking hands when you realized it was only Jungkook.

"Hello?" you said. Even you could hear the quiver in your voice. You cleared your throat, hoping that would make you sound less like a traumatized little kitten, "Hey," you repeated.

"What's wrong?" Jungkook asked. You mentally cursed yourself. You should've known it was a bad idea to talk to anyone right now.

You cleared your throat again, "Nothing. All good," you lied.

"Bullshit," he said, "What happened? Where are you? Do you need me to come get you?"

"No, no," you shook your head vigorously, as if he could see you, "I'm on my way home now. I'm fine."

"You're all good to drive?" you could practically hear him raising his eyebrows.

"Yeah, Kookie," you assured him, "All good. I'll be at my house soon."

"Okay. I'll meet you there," he immediately replied.

"No, Jungkook, you don't have to" but it was too late. The line had gone dead. You sighed, tossing your phone into the passenger seat. You tried not to think about how the hell you were going to explain what happened, and you desperately willed your mind to ignore the light scent of cologne coming from Jimin's jacket, which had been abandoned in your back seat. 

♛♛♛

"Love," Jungkook pushed off of the hood of his car, where he had been leaning, when he saw me get out of my car, "What's the matter?" He easily slipped his arms around you, staring at your face. His eyes searched your face as if he could read it to figure out what happened. 

You shook your head lightly, "Let's go inside."

He immediately released you, ushering you to the front door of your apartment as if you couldn't walk on your own. You laughed dryly, gently shaking him off and kissing his hair to show him you were okay, and that he didn't have to baby you. 

Reluctantly, he took a step back and gave you a few inches of space as you unlocked your front door and pushed inside. Jungkook followed behind you, dropping down onto the couch as you tossed your car keys onto the counter. He eyed you cautiously, apparently deciding to change his tactic and wait for you to speak instead of poking you into telling him what happened.

You turned around to face him, leaning delicately on the counter. He quirked an eyebrow at you, waiting. 

You sighed before speaking, "I went to see Jimin."