Chapter 4. Fili and Kili will help uncle!

It had been a weird day yesterday. At some point Thorin had decided he wanted to protect you from Gandalf while there was absolutely no reason for it. Yes, you were going on a quest that could end with you dying, but hey, you may survive it! And what did he care? Nothing, as he had said himself. But he did care a lot for someone who didn't care. After the argument with Gandalf he had disappeared into the woods, not returning until the following morning. 

You were once again on your way and the company had finally left the mountain behind them. Making their way towards a city of men. There, you and Kim would be left behind, that is if Thorin had his way. But luckily for you there was a wizard who refused to leave you behind since you had to go on his quest. Since the Medina Woods were close to the city of men, you, Kim and Gandalf would leave the company there. You would reach the city in two days.

Secretly you didn't want to go. There was always the possibility of you dying or losing Kim. And you had grown fond of the Durin princes, even their uncle had a place in your heart. But you were still mad at him. First he let Kim walk in the front with him and she was allowed to come along on the hunt, while you had to ride in the middle and stay back at camp. It just wasn't fair. Fili and Kili noticed you needed some cheering up so they offered to ride next to you and Bilbo today. You were pleased with Dwalin not riding next to you for one day.

He seemed like a nice guy but he always glared at you. It made you feel uncomfortable and you were glad the hobbit rode in between. As soon as the company had left, Dwalin rode to the front, next to Kim. They didn't seem to talk, unless you could call arguing talking. Somehow they always disagreed about something, whether it was about the way she sat on her pony or the way he frowned. Even Thorin seemed to get annoyed with them, riding his pony faster so that he wouldn't be so close to them.

But you noticed Dwalin was smiling when he argued with Kim. Not a big smile, but a small one, lurking in the corner of his mouth. You swore he had a thing for her. When you had a chance you would talk to her about this. A sudden warm hand on your shoulder interrupted your train of thoughts. 'Lass, what are you thinking about? We actually wanted to ask you some questions about courting rituals in your world' Fili smirked at you. Why did this feel like you were in a lot of trouble? 

'Uhm... well, I don't know. We don't really court..' 'That we know, but you said you could date people, so there must be some rituals?' Fili pushed. You nodded. 'There are not really rituals since everyone approaches it differently. But you can take your date out for dinner, for a walk in the park and a picnic, or just drinking some coffee together' you explained. 'Nothing like giving the other person gifts?' Fili asked curiously. 'Sometimes the boy gives the girl flowers, and often pays for the date, but normally you don't give each other jewelry until you are a couple.'

'So you give flowers to the girl? What does she need them for? They will witter within a week, a piece of jewelry will survive time if made correctly' Kili jumped in. You smiled, those dwarfs and their love for jewels. 'Aye brother, I don't understand it either. But I think I know what to do' Fili said while jumping of his pony. 'What are you doing?!' you asked kind of flustered. Kili laughed beside you and you watched Fili running towards a flower bed nearby.

He knelt down and did something, you couldn't tell what because his broad back was blocking your view. 'Fili! Come back in line!' Thorin shouted from the front. Quickly the prince got up and ran back, a bouqeut of daisies and forget-me-not's in his hand. You chuckled at watching him run with the flowers in his hand, he looked so adorable. He got up his pony and handed you the bouqeut. 'I know it's nothing much, but you are a nice lass, so here.' You blushed and gave him a kiss on his cheek. 

You put your nose in the bouquet to smell the delicious scent of the flowers. Beside you Kili and Fili exchanged knowing looks when they saw their uncle glaring at Fili. He tried not to feel smaller with his uncle's eyes fixed on him but he couldn't help but smirk that he made his uncle jealous that easily. Everyone had already noticed the connection between the young lass and their leader, but he seemed to ignore it. Well, the brothers had a few tricks up their sleeve to make sure he would acknowledge his feelings. Even if they had to spell it out for him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of course his nephew just had to push him. At some point Fili had jumped of his pony and ran towards a field of flowers. There he knelt down and picked some, creating a small bouquet. 'Fili! Come back in line!' he heard himself shouting. Fili ran back to his pony and handed the flowers over to you. You smiled brightly and put your nose in the bouquet to smell the scent of the flowers. Thorin narrowed his eyes and sent a death glare in Fili's direction. But it really didn't work anymore, he and his brother just smirked. From now on they were on permanent pony duty.

Thorin looked at you and could feel his heart beating slightly faster. He huffed and turned his head, focusing on the road once more. A warm hand landed on his shoulder and patted several times. 'They only mean well' Balin joked next to him. Thorin offered his old friend a mild glare before straightening his back. 'They are only causing trouble when we already have enough to worry about' he growled. Balin chuckled and threw him a knowing look. 'I think they found out and are just trying to help you out' the older dwarf said, trying to calm his king down. 

Thorin raised his eyebrows and looked at Balin, confused. 'I don't know what you are talking about.' Balin chuckled and shook his head. 'Of course you don't' he laughed. Thorin chose to ignore it for now. Whatever the older dwarf was implying, it wasn't true. Maybe he should give his Company some time to rest and eat, maybe it would help to stop this nonsense. He hold still and turned his pony around. 'We will stay here for an hour. Give your ponies some rest and eat something before we leave!' The Company send him thankful looks and climbed of their ponies.

'Don't you want to continue on laddie? We still have a great distance to cover' Balin asked. 'Everyone should get some rest, you to Balin. Let me worry about the distance' Thorin responded, offering a small smile. Balin nodded and walked over to his brother, who was still arguing with Kim. Thorin shook his head and tried to contain his smile. He had talked to Dwalin yesterday, asking about his feelings for the girl. But the warrior told him he felt nothing for the girl. Thorin smiled. He knew his friend to well to fall for that lie.

'Uncle? Do you have a moment?' Thorin turned around and found his two nephews standing in front of him, their arms behind their back and a smirk on their face. 'What now?' he asked irritated, he hadn't forgotten about Fili and the flower incident yet. The blond, however, didn't seem to impressed with his uncle's attitude. 'We were wondering if you knew something about courting in (y/n) world?' Kili asked amused. Thorin raised an eyebrow and folded his arms. 'What would it matter to me?' he asked, trying not to seem to eager to find out. 'Oh. I think we've mistaken then brother. Shall we help (y/n) to get warm then? I noticed a chill running down her back a few minutes ago' Fili asked while shrugging his shoulders.

The death glare was back on Thorin's face and he grabbed his nephews by their collars. 'You will do no such thing' he growled and pulled them back. Fili and Kili seemed surprised by his actions and watched him making his way over to you. 'Make yourself useful and give my pony some food!' he yelled back at them. They bowed their heads and quickly grabbed some food for the ponies. Thorin was close to you now. He hold still and looked at you. He could see you were cold even though Bofur had lend you one of his coats. A shiver ran down your spine, Thorin sighed and took his fur coat off.

He walked over to you and carefully wrapped it around your shoulders. You looked up in surprise and lowered your eyes when you noticed who it was who'd come to help you. 'I noticed you were cold' Thorin almost whispered. You returned a weak smile. 'Thank you, Master dwarf.' There was tension between the two of you, but it still felt good to be so close to you, Thorin thought. Secretly he wanted to sit down next to you and pull you close to his chest. You wouldn't have to worry about the cold if he could just hold you close. He could barely restrain himself from doing just that. He noticed that you had stopped shivering and smiled. 'You can call me Thorin, lass' he spoke softly.

Far away there were two brothers standing right next to each other, smirking. 'I think we're doing the right thing brother' Kili said proudly. Fili nodded and swung his arm around Kili. 'I agree brother. We can be proud of ourselves.' They both held their breaths when they were both grabbed by the back of their collar again. 'What are the two of you up to?' Dwalin asked suspicious. He still hold them up when he noticed Thorin and you standing several feet away. 'Why don't ya give your uncle some privacy? Ya still haven't fed the ponies, now have ya?' he asked and let go of them. The two brothers sped away to feed the ponies and didn't dare to look back.

Dwalin looked at his king and chuckled. 'And he says I'm the ignorant fool.'