Chapter 18. Gandalf's plan

Today, 9-1-2015, it is the birthday of @jumpingmanatee ! Don't forget to congratulate her on her birthday and leave a nice comment to her! :D Without her this book wouldn't exist and these last two chapters were meant as a birthday gift to her, as requested. But what she didn't know is a special gift that I will send to her tomorrow; a preview of Chapter 19 that only she can read before I publish it. Thank you all so much for your support and don't forget to congratulate her!

Warning: Mild BotFA spoilers in this chapter, there will be more in the coming chapters! So don't read if you don't want to know more about the ending of the book/movie!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gandalf chuckled. 'Nothing went wrong. It is quite the opposite. Everything went according to plan' Gandalf said. You rolled your eyes as you freed yourself from the hug. You should have known better then to trust Gandalf on his word alone. 'You weren't going to bring me back to my world in the first place?' you asked, crossing your arms. 'Gandalf told me about your quest to save the Durin family. I must say it is a noble quest but not one without many dangers' Elrond interrupted. 'That is true but myself and Marriet here will be by her side at all times' Gandalf tried to laugh the issue away. Elrond looked doubtfully at his old friend before returning his gaze towards you.

'Before you go on this quest I must inform you that you have no obligation to go on this quest. Gandalf may think that this will turn out well but he musn't forget that you are not from here' Elrond said, looking stern at the wizard. 'When I first saw you I immediately knew that you were the girl Gandalf had told me about. And I also have to admit my old friend always has a plan of his own, but I can't stand by this time.' Gandalf seemed to get rather sweaty as Elrond continued his talk. 'You have to go on this quest on your own free will and for no other reason then that. Do you think that that's the case here?' the elf asked, looking directly into your eyes. 'Aye, that is the case here' you replied.

Elrond nodded and turned around, towards Gandalf. 'Very well then. Don't forget what you promised me when I agreed to help you with this little stunt of yours. If anything happens to the girl because you left her alone I will not defend you against the wrath of the dwarves.' And with that, he left. Gandalf tried to fake a smile but you could tell that he was worried. 'Are you going to explain yourself or not?' you asked angrily. You didn't understand why you had to leave Thorin behind like that if you weren't leaving Middle-Earth. Gandalf sighed. 'Sit down, the two of you, and I will explain.' Before you could interject, Marriet pulled you down by your sleeve.

You shot Gandalf an evil glare but he decided to ignore this. 'Do you remember that you told me you would do anything to save the lives of Fili, Kili and Thorin?' Gandalf asked. You nodded impatiently. 'Aye.' 'Well, we had some inconveniences in our first try of our quest but we still have time to try again' Gandalf said as you raised your hand to interrupt him. 'Inconveniences? Is that how you call it? You dragged me into a forest, which Thorin had already warned you about, knowing very well what was hidden inside it. After that you managed to get me abducted by those blue-haired freaks and then almost got me cut in half! And you call it an inconvenience?' you shouted the last sentences.

Gandalf blinked. 'That's what I just said, may I continue?' Your mouth dropped open and you just stared at him. Was he serious? 'After I saved all of us and found a new town to stay for a while you and Thorin started courting. I intended to leave that town earlier but Thorin wouldn't let me come close to you.' 'And do you think that's weird? Again: YOU ALMOST GOT ME KILLED!' you shout. Gandalf chuckled. 'Like I said, that would have been an inconvenience.' You were ready to argue with him but Marriet whispered; 'You know he won't listen. He has been like this ever since he dragged me away from my new life.' You huffed and decided you would hear the wizard out, for now.