Chapter 14. Your last breath

The elves were kind enough to feed the dwarfs and let them stay in Rivendell as long as they needed. Thorin wanted to leave as soon as he saw Elrond but Gandalf somehow convinced him it would be better to stay here for a while. 'We've already stopped at the human town for too long, we can't risk any more delay' Thorin growled. Gandalf sighed and looked at the dwarf in annoyance. 'We have a map we can't read. We need to know what it says, lord Elrond may help with that.' You had placed your hand on Thorin's shoulder and gave him a weak smile when he looked at you. He huffed. 'Alright then. But we won't stay here longer then one day.' Gandalf smiled, pleased with how it all turned out for his benefit. 

So here you were, enjoying the sun in Rivendell and wandering around the place with Bilbo. Of course you and Bilbo weren't alone. Thorin wouldn't let you out of his sight. And if, for some weird reason, you wanted to see this dump he decided he had to go with you to keep you safe. He would snort when you or the hobbit appreciated the art or show your admiration for the food but you didn't pay attention to him. It was nice to be with Thorin but you had also wanted to see Rivendell. And now, you finally had the chance to do so. Bilbo wandered off to the statue with the broken sword while you went the other way. 'Don't you think this place is beautiful?' you said in awe. Behind you Thorin looked at you with a weird face. 'You only think this place is beautiful because you haven't seen Erebor yet.'

You smile when you notice a large door across the pond. Curious to find out where it might lead to, you walk over the small bridge and place your hand on the handle of the door. Slowly you push the door open and your mouth drops in awe when you see what it hid. There are hundreds and hundreds of shelves filled with books. The shelves reach as high as the ceiling and in front of the shelves are several piles of books. You take a few steps inside and just stare at the beauty of the library. There are a lot of books with elven titles but some are written in normal English. Thorin stares at you while he leans against a shelf. He has never seen you like this. There is a sparkle in your eyes when you stare at the books and smell the paper. 'I can give you this, but better, in Erebor' he says.

You turn around and raise an eyebrow. 'Don't you think this is incredible? I know you don't like the elves but you have to admit that this is fantastic.' Thorin looks grim and chooses not to answer your question. You turn around towards the big window and notice a big chair in front of it. Immediately you grab a book from a shelf and run towards the chair. With a nice jump you land on the chair and cuddle up to the pillows. This is what you always dreamed off. A library with so many books you would have more then enough books to read for the rest of your life. Thorin comes after you, staring lovingly at you as you're reading the book. 'What's it about?' he asks, genuinely interested. You frown and flip some pages. 'I don't know. I can't read elvish. But the drawings are nice' you say and smile at him. 

He chuckles and sits down next to you, not sure how to sit down in a relaxing way. You put the book down next to you and pull his shoulders back against the pillows. He let's you, not sure what you're planning to do. You move to sit down between his legs, your back against his chest, and you get the book back and continue to read it. You can feel his chest rising as he laughs before he pulls you closer to his chest and starts braiding your hair. 'This is not the ideal angle to do this' he mutters. You shrug. 'That is not my problem.' 'Remind me, how could I fall in love with such a stubborn woman?' he jokes. You lay your head down on his chest and look up at him. 'You're calling me stubborn, Oakenshield? I can name one more person on this chair who might be even more stubborn then me.'

He pushes your head forwards, off of his chest and continues to braid your hair. 'Just read' he says. You laugh and look down at the book in your hands. 'Can you read elvish?' you ask without looking up from your book. 'You didn't think that one through, now did you?' he asks with a hint of sarcasm in his voice. 'No, not one bit.' You lay there for a few hours, just enjoying each other's company, and you enjoying the books as well. Thorin made two braids on either side of your head and pulled them back in a high pony tail. He got two silver beads from his pocket and braided them in your hair as well. 'Now you are truly mine' he states and wraps his arms around you. The door to the library bursts open and Bofur comes running in. 'Come quickly! She's running away!' he shouts.