Chapter 12. Ignorant dwarfs and a meddling wizard

After a few days of keeping yourself 'busy' in the bedroom with Thorin, you finally felt sunlight on your skin again. Thorin had cooled down like Balin said he would, so now the Company could move on on their quest. When you walked downstairs you noticed that no one was there. Maybe they were still sleeping? But when you got outside you saw the whole company sitting in a circle, enjoying their breakfast. 'Lass! Would you like some bread and honey?' Kili shouted when he noticed you. You smiled politely at him and made your way over to the circle. At first you thought it would be awkward to face the company, you were sure they must have heard at least some screams.

But everyone acted normal towards you, even more friendly then before. Kili gave you a slice of bread and you accepted it thankfully. You hadn't eaten much since you and Thorin had gone upstairs to 'talk' about the courtship, and it wasn't until now that you noticed how hungry you were. 'Are you hungry lass?' Fili joked as you finished your bread within record time. You nodded frantically and Kili made you some more. You looked around the little circle and noticed that Kim and Dwalin weren't setting next to each other. They weren't even sitting close to one another. You tried to catch Kim's eyes but it seemed like she avoided yours. Dwalin sat across from her, more grumpy then usual. 

Maybe this was how you should act around each other when you were courting, you thought. But on the other hand, Kim had never looked so sour before. And Dwalin didn't seem to be doing much better. A hand landed on your shoulder as Thorin sat down next to you. He wrapped his arm around you and placed a kiss on your temple. 'How are you feeling?' he asked concerned. 'I'm feeling better, thank you' you said. He smiled and tucked a strand of hair behind your ear. 'You're not feeling sore...' 'No, no, I'm fine, thank you' you interrupted and quickly kissed him on the lips to stop the talk about sore places in front of the whole company. Fili and Kili snickered behind you but they stopped when Thorin glared at them.

'Thorin?' Thorin turned around to the older dwarf who sat next to him and nodded. 'Aye?' 'Have you decided when we will leave this cabin behind and go on with our quest?' Balin asked. More members of the company looked up from their breakfast, wishing to know the answer as well. Thorin turned to his thoughts, or brooding state if you wish, before answering. Him and you had talked about this the night before. He wasn't sure yet when he wanted to leave and if he wanted you to continue traveling with the company. You couldn't believe that he considered leaving you behind but he had explained himself. And you understood. He just didn't want you to get hurt since he almost lost you a few days earlier. 

But you had told him that you would follow him anyway, if he left you behind or not. 'We will leave before lunch time today.' The company nodded in approval and went back to eating their breakfast. 'Dwalin? Can we have a word before we leave?' Thorin asked. Kim looked up when she heard Dwalin's name but quickly lowered her head when she met his eyes. Dwalin stared at Kim, not responding to his king. You couldn't read his face like you could read Thorin', but even you could tell there was something wrong between the two of them. 'Dwalin?' Thorin asked again. The warrior looked up, clearly focused on something else. 'Aye, of course my King.' 

'I'll be right back' Thorin whispered in your ear and kissed you goodbye. Dwalin got up and followed Thorin to lean against the wall of the cabin. 'I think we better start packing' Bofur stated and pulled Bifur along with him. Several other dwarfs mumbled their agreement and got up to do the same. Kim got up as well but instead of following the dwarfs inside she walked the other way, towards the well. You wanted to follow her but Fili pushed you down and sat down next to you. With Kili on your left side and Fili on your left side, both wearing a smirk on their face, you knew you should have run for it. 'So, (y/n)' the blonde started.

'We were wondering...' '...if you enjoyed yourself with our uncle upstairs?' Kili asked, smirking. You buried your face in your hands and sighed. 'You think I want to talk about that with you?' The two brothers exchanged looks and Fili raised his eyebrow. 'What are you talking about (y/n)? What is that?' Fili asked. Kili snickered. 'Indeed brother, we don't know what you're talking about. That is, if you don't mean the animal noises that came from upstairs.' 'Aye, if you think we want to talk about that, you're wrong' Fili said, his face screwed up by just thinking of his uncle and you doing that kind of physical activities. 'No indeed brother. We were just wondering...' '...if we can call you aunt?'