14

A/N:
Yes, Gally.

I didn't make the Maze Runner one in the Tough Series —in fact, when I first started Tough Love, I was gonna end it at Frankie's 'death'. But I enjoyed writing about her so much and I was over the moon with your responses that I decided to continue HEHE

The Maze Runner plot is exactly the same with the book. I hope any references to it won't confuse you guys.

Anyway, here's another chapter. I'm going to update a lot today :)

Have a nice day, everyone!

〰️

FRANKIE KEPT HER eyes trained at Newt's back, moving along to his steady intakes of breath and his low snores.

She didn't expect the pace of his Flare's infiltration. It was too quick.

One moment he was her old friend Newt, and the next he turned into someone she didn't know. With every second passed, he became more distant, withdrawn, unsociable, grumpy, emotional, jumpy.

Rat Man did say that stressful situation caused the Flare's growth rate to soar astronomically.

He had to be frustrated with himself, didn't he?

Befriending all those uncontrollable feelings he had within himself.

And being locked in here wasn't exactly a happy situation as well.

Frankie had to make use of this abundance of free time to keep him around —to grab any sliver of his attention and old self with her fingers, at least until Minho return.

When this nap's over, she told herself.

I have to try, she told herself, I have to.

〰️

MINHO SCOWLED, "GALLY?"

Thomas faced Brenda and Jorge, about to explain who Gally was, then realized from their gazes that they had been working for WICKED enough to know the whole story. Then he looked at Reggie—

"I knew the sticks," Reggie said, "And I remember you telling Frances that he was possessed and killed a boy on your way out."

"You knew Gally?" Minho asked in a mixture of disbelief and confusion.

Reggie sighed, "I'll tell you later."

"It can't possibly be him," Brenda said.

"Why not?" Thomas asked, "What happened to him after we were taken away? Did he..."

"Die? No. He spent a week or so in the infirmary, recovering from a broken cheekbone. But that was nothing compared to the psychological damage. They used him to kill Chuck because the Psychs thought the patterns would be valuable. It was all planned. They forced Chuck to move in front of you."

Minho looked away. He remembered the Gally who talked casually about Frewt over breakfast, who made the Homestead's architectural design, and came out of the Box with snot all over his upper lip. But he also still remembered the Gally who acted like a total slinthead —the shank deserved to be his first punching bag in the Glade.

Minho tried to read Thomas' expression. He was personally connected to the whole Chuck-Gally thing, but he just sucked in breath and ran a shaking hand through his hair. "Nothing surprises me anymore."

"Gally's mind couldn't handle what he had done," Brenda continued, "He went completely nuts and they had to send him away. I'm sure they figured no one would ever believe his story. He was trying to eat chairs and spitting and yelling and ripping his own hair out."