29

MINHO LED THE way this time

MINHO LED THE way this time. His shoulders squared as he ran —every inch of him showed the pride he had felt for those years when he ruled these corridors.

Stephen was right behind him, then Frankie.

It was a strange feeling, being back in there after everything she had been through. A chant broke into her mind: left, left, right, left, right, right. The thump of her metallic support echoed throughout the arena.

It was enough to signal Minho that she was okay.

No one said much as they ran toward the Glade.

They turned the final corner that led to the wide corridor outside the East Door of the Glade.

Her home.

She let herself got lost in whirls of memories as she beamed, skidding to a halt after she got passed the Door like she usually did after a long day in the Maze.

She drank in the sight, listing down the differences the Glade had suffered since her last birthday celebration. The crooked building they called the Homestead; the pathetic copse of trees; the Bloodhouse barn; the fields, now only hardened weeds. The charred Map Room, its metal door blackened and still hanging ajar. The Slammer's door, hidden behind some people's figures.

But the Glade was now milled by hundreds of unfamiliar people, more than the Gladers had ever numbered. There were even babies and small children scattered among the crowd.

It took a moment for the murmurs to spread across the sea of Immunes, but within seconds every eye was trained on the new arrivals and utter silence fell upon the Glade.

"Did you know there were this many?" Minho asked Gally.

"Honestly, no."

It didn't take long before their friends spotted them. Frypan. Clint, Sonya, and some other
girls from Group B.

They all came running, and there was a short burst of reunions and hugs.

"Frances!" Sonya leaped, cupping her face then engulfing her in a hug, "Oh my God, I remember. I remember you now."