21.1

"REGGIE! PSST!"

"REGGIE! PSST!"

NINE-YEARS-OLD Reggie rolled on his bed and grunted, not appreciating anyone who dared to disturb his beauty sleep.

"Reg! Quick!"

Reggie popped one eye opened and saw a crooked grin under the dim nightlight. He yawned, "What?"

His friend whispered, "Come on. Minho sneaked out ten bloody candy bars! Ten!"

At this point, Reggie cared more about his rest than extra candy bars, but Newt's excitement was quite contagious, and he found himself crawling under Thomas' bunk bed just two minutes later.

And there, by Minho's feet, was a stack of their favourite candy bars —all the glory of its rice cracker, caramel, chocolate, rainbow sprinkles, and possibility of sugar rush.

Reggie's eyes widened, "How?"

"He's crazy, that's how," Thomas muttered. His expression showed that he wasn't too keen on the idea of staying up after curfew, with stolen items at that, but even the special boy couldn't resist some forbidden midnight snacks.

"No. I'm awesome, that's how," Minho grinned. He took one, tore the plastic package off, and took bite after bite.

"Eat it slowly, Minho," Newt scolded, "You'll choke."

"Imagine how funny that would be," Reggie chortled, "Here lay Minho. Death by candy bar."

"Well, you're all invited to my funeral. Better cry, or I'll haunt you forever."

They laughed. An unintelligible moan from Siggy and Gally's beds warned them that they were too loud, and the four boys looked at each other as they tried to swallow their laughters.

"I heard," Minho whispered, "We're getting another special test tomorrow. I wonder what'll they do."

Newt shuddered, "Not another blood test."

"Do you know about it?" Reggie nudged Thomas, but the latter just shrugged and chomped on his sweets.

"And I thought you're special."

"Dey dom led me in on abulb's ding."

"What?" Minho said, leaning forward.

"We can't understand a bloody word you're saying, Tommy."

Thomas took his time swallowing before he repeated, "They don't let me in on adult's things."

"Maybe it's blood test," Reggie wondered aloud, "I hope they can't see our incredibly high sugar level. Can we get another ten of these?"

"Let's do it, tomorrow night! I'll show you guys how I roll."