18

"SHE'S IMMUNE! SHE'S Immune!" Newt yelled, "Let her go!"

"She hurt four security guards!" The man called Ryder roared, "Clearly she's dangerous!"

"Do you not see that bloody thing? She's crippled! Her body can't handle that bloody shock! She's just a useless klunk now, won't do any good for you all. Better let the owner of this Berg bury her dead body, am I right?"

"Well I better make sure Mr. Gallaraga return to a real dead body," he muttered, loading his gun.

"NO!" Newt cried out, "JUST TAKE ME! I'M A CRANK! I WANT TO LEAVE, I WANT TO LEAVE! I HATE HER! I BLOODY HATE HER!"

He squealed maniacally and sunk to the ground, blocking his ears with his hands, "I HATE SEEING THAT FACE. JUST GET ME OUT OF HERE. I DON'T WANT TO BE LOCKED IN HERE ANYMORE. THEY FORCED ME TO. SHE FORCED ME TO. SHE HAD ME STAY QUIET ALL THE TIME. GET ME OUT GEMME OUT GEMME OUT GEMME OUT—"

"Damn it!" Officer Ryder yelled, holstering his gun back. He was still shaken by the small Launcher's grenade. "Let's go! I'll have the sick guy, you two take care of Roy. Grab the weapons, too."

Frankie tried calling out to Newt, but only a gurgling groan came out. Her muscles ached, her stomach nauseated, but her heart cried out more than all the physical pain an electric shock could ever bring. She tried moving her hand, reaching out to him, but he was being taken away.

Newt saw her tears, puddling at the corner of her eye and spilling down her temple to the floor. That was the last thing he could see before the Berg's door was closed, and he knew that it would haunt him to his very last day.

〰️

MINHO AND HIS companions went to a coffee shop nearby, recommended by Hans and his wife

This was another new experience for him —customers lined up at the counter, getting coffee and pastries, then heading for a table or back out the door. He watched as a nervous older woman kept lifting her surgical mask to sip her hot drink. One of those red-shirted guards stood at the door, randomly testing people for the Flare with his handheld device every couple of minutes or so.