2. Uptown

Hey guys! Y'all should be super proud of me. I mean, I wrote one and a half chapters yesterday! That's a lot of work for me. Enjoy!
><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Y/N's POV

When Hamilton woke me up the next morning, the sun was barely rising. "Y/N, we need to take you shopping," he said softly, knocking lightly on the bedroom door.

"Right now?" I yawned. I stood up, wincing from the pain in my back and neck. Sleeping on this mattress felt like sleeping on a bed of rocks. It was not a very nice feeling.

"Yes now," he chuckled.

"Okay then," I sighed, "I'll be out in five minutes." I tried my best to straighten up my clothes so that I didn't look like a homeless woman in men's clothes, which I technically was.

I opened the door while running my fingers through my h/c hair one last time, trying to free it of knots. Hamilton stood by the front door waiting for me.

As we were walking through town, arms linked, I became curious. "So, what exactly shopping for?" I asked him.

"Well, first we need to get you a nice dress. Luckily I know a place where dresses aren't that expensive," he sighed, running a hand threw his hair.

"Wait a minute, how much do they cost?" I asked, fearing that he would be spending far too much on me.

"About 1$," he sighed.

"I can't allow you to spend that much on me!" I protested. If I was remembering correctly, one dollar in the 1700s is about sixty dollars from my normal time.

"Then you are to walk around in men's clothes forever?" he said sarcastically. I felt anger rise up in me when he said that, but I reminded myself that this is not 2020. What I'm wearing is men's clothes in this time.

"I'll pay you back, Mr. Hamilton," I promised.

"First of all, call me Alex. I can't be much older than you so 'Mr' just sounds weird. Second of all, I would not accept your money if you attempted to repay me."

I glared at him lightly, knowing that he was too stubborn to let me win. He really does look about my age, come to think of it.

"I'm eighteen," I mumbled, just loud enough for him to hear.

"I'm nineteen," he smiled.

Eventually, we arrived at Mulligans Tailor Shop. Upon stepping inside we were greeted by a tall man standing behind a desk. "I'm Hugh Mulligan. How may I help you?"

"My friend Y/N needs a dress, please," Alex said gesturing to me.

"Okay then, just send her to the back and my son will take her measurements," he smiled. I bristled slightly at the way that they were talking about me as if I wasn't there, reminding myself once again that I'm in the 1700s.

Alex led me towards the back room and I stepped inside to see a young man around my age. He was tall and muscular and wore a gray beanie.

"Hello, Miss," he said taking my hand and kissing me softly on the knuckles. That was going to be very difficult to get used to.

"Good morning, sir! And please, call me Y/N," I said politely.

"Then call me Hercules," he beamed, leading me onto a slight platform in the middle of the room. The lyrics to 'My Shot' began playing in my head.

Yo, I'm a tailors apprentice
And I got y'all knuckleheads in local parentis

While I stood there, he moved around the room grabbing pins and needles before heading back to me. For a while he stood, taking my measurements with a strip of paper by cutting notches where the measurement began and ended.