24. A Winters Ball

Hey guys! We're officially twenty-four chapters into this story and nine songs into the musical... yeah, this might take a while. AnYwAyS, enjoy!
><><><><><><><><><><

Y/N's POV

We were up early the next morning, getting makeovers from Herc. He's a freakin amazing fashion designer. There's literally no way that he could possibly be straight. No straight person dresses that good.

"And... done!" Herc beamed, letting my gold necklace rest over the fabric of my dress.

"Wow," Izze and I said at the same time, moving to stand next to each other in our fancy people outfits. Herc had given us two brand new ball gowns free of charge. (Which is a great thing because I'm poor as can be)

Then, he somehow managed to style our hair in a way that actually didn't make me cringe like crazy. I wouldn't have minded wearing my hear like this to school. It was beautifully curled, falling on my shoulder in elegant coils.

Somebody knocked on the door. "Are you done yet? My baguettes are going to get stale if we wait any longer!"

Herc rolled his eyes and moved to open the door, letting Laff inside. "Oh, wow!" The Frenchman gasped. "You two look fabulous, mes amis!"

"Why thank you!" Izze smiled, doing an over dramatic curtsy.

"So do you!" I said, gesturing to the baguettes he held at his side, labeled 'Perv Repellent' in big letters.

"Oh, I know," He smirked.

A couple of seconds later, Herc and Laff led us into the living room where the rest of the boys sat.

Where John sat.

It's funny how you suddenly lose the ability to breathe when you see somebody who's simply really hot. Crap. Now even my thoughts sound cringy.

I'm pretty sure that John and I had been staring at each other for almost an entire minute when Laff had finally gotten up with an exasperated sigh to nudge us closer. "John, mon frere, give her the flowers."

I felt a small bouquet of flowers being placed in my hand. We were both a blushing mess.

"Now, take her hand."

John pressed his lips to my knuckles for a mere second before moving to stand next to me and holding my hand at his side. I subconsciously stepped closer to him.

"Now, please, please, take the turtles out of your pockets and leave them here."

He pouted but reluctantly set Fred and George in the small playpen that Laff had made for them the night before. I wanted to make a comment about them being too young to be home alone, but I held my tongue, knowing that Y/N wasn't their mom. Elijah was.

I want mah babies back.

Alex gave me a weird look.

"Hurry up, guys!" Jeremy said. "We're going to be late to be late to the ball if we don't leave now!"

"Alright, alright," John sighed, shooting me a small smile before leading me outside.

We could hear Izze and Jeremy walking behind us, rambling something about The Orchard. Laff was explaining what a perv was to Herc (Izze taught him the definition last night) a couple of feet away. Alex was in the back, walking alone.

It's okay, Alex, I thought, You're supposed to meet your future wife today, so you won't be lonely anymore.

When we finally made it to the Schuyler's house, Izze pulled me aside in the hall with a frown on her face. She had Lafayette standing a small distance away, guarding us against ze pervs.

"Y/N," she whispered, "You and John have spent the last five years together, neither of you admitting your feeling for each other. Do you know how much pent up sexual tension you've created?! I swear to freaking Lin Manuel-Miranda, if you don't at least kiss him-- on the lips-- tonight, I'm gonna beat you with a wet noodle!"

I'd learned over the years to take her threats 100% seriously.

"Please don't," I gulped. "I'll see about that kiss... but if it doesn't happen, please don't beat me with a wet noodle again."

"I make no promises," she smirked. "Now, hurry up! Your date's waiting for you!"

--------------------

Tryn' to catch your eye from the side of the ballroom
Everybody's dancin' and the band's top volume

--------------------

I've never really been a dancer before, but I was having trouble leaving the dance floor tonight. John and I had been dancing nonstop for the past three hours and I was enjoying every darn second of it.

"I think that we're confusing the rest of the group," John laughed, spinning me in a circle.

"Oh, really? And why would you think that?" I smirked.

"One moment I'm fawning over Elijah Truman," he smiled, "And the next, I'm all over Y/N Owens."

"Is that so?"

I was trying my best to ignore the beautiful sight of Laff beating up a random perv in the corner of the ballroom with his baguettes, screaming at him in French. Izze did a good job of choosing him as the Baguette Bodyguard.

"Yep! Not to mention the fact that you seemed very upset about leaving the kids home alone."

"Oh, hush!" I chuckled, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Our babies are too little to be alone like that! They're probably terrified right now!"

"Speaking of Fred and George," he frowned, "I think that we're confusing them, too."

"How so?"

"I don't think that they like always switching between parents. Shared custody isn't working."

I could barely hear him over the sound of the music but his mischievous smirk was very clear to see. "Well, what's your solution?" I frowned, trying to figure out his plan.

"Screw custody," he said, placing a hand on my waist. "Why should their parents be apart at all?!"

"What do you mean? Are you saying that we should just be around each other all of the time?"

"I'm saying," He chuckled, "That we should be together. And, well, if you wanna be with me for all of time, I'm not opposed to that either."

Oh. Oh.

"I think I like that plan," I smirked, my voice taking on a playful tone. "For the kids, you know?"

"Oh yeah!" He laughed. "Totally just for the kids!"

The next thing I knew, I was on my tippy toes, kissing John Motherfreaking Laurens.

I guess I'm not getting beaten with a wet noodle tonight after all.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
8/16/2020

Hehe, you're welcome. Oh! Just so y'all know, I start school on Tuesday... so I might not be able to update as much. I is sorry in advance.

QOTD: What was happening between Laff and the perv that he was yelling at?

Thanks for reading! -SunkissedChild5