8. Messages

Hey guys! Sorry this took so long, but I was in crazy writer mode for one of my other stories. Anyways, enjoy!
><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Y/N's POV

I was awoken at an unholy hour to the sound of a young boy stepping into our tent. "I'm here with the post!" he said. I stood up groggily and made my way over to him. "Name?" he asked.

"Elijah Truman." Hah! I remembered this time.

He shuffled around in his bag for a moment before handing me two pieces of parchment. "Thank you!" I smiled, sitting back down on my cot while Jeremy and Mr. Get-In-The-Grid stood to get their letters.

The first of the letters was written with poor handwriting and had ink blotches all over. I immediately knew it was from Izze.

Dear Elijah Truman,

So, I did what you told me to do. Alex wrote you a letter and I placed it with this one. Hopefully, that should be enough to keep him from getting suspicious.

The Schuyler Sisters are an entirely different story though. I ran into them in town today and they asked where you were. I told them that you were sick.

Peggy's just going with it. She's not questioning it and she's not acting suspicious at all. Elizas worried about you. She told me to tell you to get well soon. However, I think that Angelicas onto us. She just seemed very skeptical, as if she wasn't convinced at all.

We both know that my lying skills aren't lacking. Remember when I convinced them entire eight grade that my name was Sunny and that Jacob and I were twins? Some people still believe that. Angelicas just a freaking lie detector.

I'm thinking about getting a job in the city if possible. I'm thinking laundress or seamstress. What do you think? Anyways, stay safe, please. I really don't feel like resurrecting you so that I can kill you myself if you get shot.

Love yah sis! -Izze

I smiled and opened up the other letter. This one was written in loopy cursive. Alex definitely wrote it.

My dearest Y/N Owens,

Are you doing well? Please exercise caution in the city. I know that you and your sister may default to the typical behavior of your time, but please try to be observant and adapt to the culture of this time.

How are you two spending your days? It's tiring work out here in the camps. We men are given little time to rest and are expected to perform well all day. I hope life is serving you well at home.

A. Ham

I chuckled and tucked the letter under my pillow, grabbing my quill and ink out from my desk. I needed to hurry and respond to him so that I could get my letter to him today.

Dear Alexander Hamilton,

We're doing well! I'll admit, it is kind of difficult to not burst into song at random moments. Let's just say that music in the future is very different than the music well... here.

I think that I'm adapting though. I don't freak out as much when somebody goes to kiss my hand and it becomes easier and easier to put on a corset each day.

We've been going on walks into town a lot lately along with visits to The Orchard. It's a beautiful place to visit, in case you've never been there before.

I'm sure that working as a soldier is very difficult. I can almost imagine how tired you must be and how much endurance you must have. I can't imagine the generals being too kind either.

Please stay safe! -Y/N

I quickly folded up the letter and placed it in one of my many pockets before writing to my twin.

Dear Isabelle Owens,

I'm betting you're probably crawling in your skin from boredom right now. I miss being able to rap Guns and Ships at the top of our lungs in the car with the windows down and the radio blasting. Or running across the street and pouring a water bottle on Jacob's face to wake him up in the mornings.

I'm going to challenge you to do something to keep your semi entertained. I challenge you to keep track of each time a song lyric from the musical is proven. So 'I'm a tailors apprentice', 'Angelica, Eliza, and Peggy', and 'My name is Alexander Hamilton' for starters.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about the sisters. I'm sure that Angelica won't figure anything out, and worse case scenario, say that I went missing. There's no way to disprove that.

If you want to get a job, then get a job. Just remember that doing the laundry isn't as easy back in this time as it is in the future. You'll have to clean clothes by hand. And if you become a seamstress, you'll have to make the clothes by hand too. You won't have the help of a sewing machine.

Try to enjoy this craziness! This isn't exactly what people would call your everyday experience after all!

I love you too! -Y/N

I folded up the letter to Izze and grabbed the one to Alex before leaving the tent in search of the mail boy. I had to look for him for about thirty minutes before I finally found him hanging out near a tent on the other side of camp.

I tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention and he gave me an annoyed look. "In camp or out of camp?" he sighed.

"This one's in camp," I said handing him the letter to Alex. "And this one's out of—" I dropped the letter to my sister in shock at the sight of Alex standing at the mail boy's side.

He chuckled softly and picked it up. I quickly grabbed it from him and his smile turned into a glare as his eyes caught on my sister's name.

He sneered at me, taking a threatening step in my direction. "Who are you and why are you writing to Isabelle Owens?"

><><><><><><><><><><><><>
4/28/2020

There's that for yah. Sorry it was pretty much all letters between them, but I kinda needed a filler chapter so... yeah.

QOTD: Will Angelica figure it out?

Thanks for reading! -SunkissedChild5