10. Promise

Hey guys! Who else is going crazy with boredom because of this quarantine? I definitely am. Anyways, enjoy this chapter!
><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Izze's POV

"Name?" said the annoyed mail boy, giving me a dry look. I rolled my eyes at him, returning the look.

"Isabelle Owens," I frowned. He shoved two pieces of parchment at me before stalking off down the road, leaving me alone on Alex's porch once more.

I hurried inside and took a seat on the couch, adjusting my yellow dress before opening the first letter. It was from Y/N. I read it quickly before opening the other, which was from Alex.

My dearest Isabelle Owens,

I would like to warn you about a Mr. Elijah Truman, who I heard has begun to court you. He appears to be a respectable enough lad, but something in me feels that he is not to be trusted. Please be careful around him and do not, under any circumstances, tell him about the future. We have no idea how that could possibly change things.

Other than that, try to enjoy your time in New York. I would love to learn more about those cars you spoke about on your first night here. Please stay safe.

A. Ham

He writes weird, I thought, slipping the letter into the folds of my dress. Then it hit me. Has begun to court you.

Oh my crap, what has Y/N done?! I buried my face in the stiff pillows of the couch in an attempt to stifle my giggles. If only Alex knew that 'Elijah' was Y/N. Boy would his opinion change quickly.

After a moment, I stood up from the couch and adjusted my dress, heading out of the front door and onto the New York City streets. Today I needed to get a job.

I'd been thinking a lot lately about what kind of things I'd like to do around the city. I wasn't entirely sure about being a seamstress or laundress. Heck, I wasn't very sure about any of the jobs I've considered.

As I walked through the streets I looked around at the many shops surrounding me, but I couldn't see myself working in any of them.

If somebody would've asked me the question "What do you want to do after college?" a month ago, I would've told them that I wanted to play Peggy Schuyler in Hamilton. That's not exactly an option anymore.

"Izze— or Y/N— or uh, Owens!" somebody from behind me shouted, causing me to freeze in my footsteps. I turned around to see the Schuyler sisters standing a few feet away from me.

"Hey!" I smiled, "It's Izze. I'm always in the yellow dress and Y/N's always in the blue one."

"Right, sorry," Eliza winced, leading me down the street. "So, what are you doing uptown?"

"I'm looking for a job," I frowned, laughing nervously.

"Ooh, what do you want to do?" Peggy asked.

Well, I want to walk around a stage in front of hundreds of people, pretending to be you and singing "AND PEGGY!" every few seconds, I thought.

"I don't know," I said.

"If you're interested," Angelica beamed, "We've been needing some people to help out around the house. Maybe you and Y/N could do that?"

That was perfect! I could be close to Schuyler sisters and have a job!

"I'd love to! But Y/N is still uh... sick," I tried, fidgeting with the hem of my dress.

"Has she been seen by a doctor yet?" Angelica frowned, giving me a suspicious look. I shook my head slowly, not entirely sure what to say.

"Maybe we should have our family's doctor take a look at her," Eliza muttered, looking to Peggy who nodded in agreement.

"Oh no, you don't have to do that!" I protested, trying not to panic. "At least wait a little bit longer! I'm sure whatever sickness she has will pass soon."

Angelica quirked a brow at my top quick answer. "Okay then," she frowned, "But if she's still sick in a month, I want her to be seen by a doctor. She could have a serious illness for all we know."

"Of course!" I nodded, panicking internally.

What was I supposed to do in a month when Y/N was still gone. I couldn't just be like 'Hey, I know you're at war and all that jazz, but I need you to say hi to Angelica real quick so that she doesn't smack me like she smacked Jefferson that one time' you know?

Ugh, I was going to have to pretend to be my sister at some point. That would be a super fun experience! (Note the sarcasm)

"You should come and see our house!" Peggy chirped, pulling me off down the road. Angelica and Eliza followed behind us until we finally made it to a large, mansion-like building.

"Woah," I breathed, looking up at it in awe. "What the heck I gotta do to have a house like this?"

"Cmon!" Eliza smiled, leading me through the large front doors.

Everything in this place was nice and elegant looking, unlike me. Even the Schuyler sisters stood regally in the hall with good posture, looking as if they belonged there. I was kind of just that tired teenager who was dragged to a place without AC and who really just wanted to take a warm bath. Let's just say I was definitely slouching.

They spent the next couple of hours giving me a tour of their home. Peggy tried showing me every cool or impressing thing around, which was just about everything. Angelica kept trying to tell me a bunch of facts about said artifacts. Eliza just wanted to show me her favorite keepsakes.

By the time I made it back to Alex's house, I was overwhelmed and exhausted. On the bright side, I now have a job. On the not so bright side, I now needed to try and keep a suspicious Angelica satisfied, and we all know how that goes.

I sat down on the couch with a piece of parchment and a quill and began to write.

Dear Elijah Truman,

Guess who's working in the Schuylers house! This gal!

><><><><><><><><><><><><>
5/5/2020

So, I finished this a little late. Whoops. What can I say? I went swimming! *awkward waves*

QOTD: Do you have a special possession that was passed down to you by a family member?

Thanks for reading! -SunkissedChild5