30. Moving On

Hey, guys! It's officially time to get this plot moving along! Now, you might wanna pay extra attention to the time skips in this chappie... (you might have to do some song lyric math *wink wink*) AnYwAyS, enjoy!
><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Y/N's POV  (3 weeks later)

I was having a peaceful dream. Keyword— was.

John and I were at the orchard, sitting by the trunk of a tree and talking about Fred and George who sat happily in my hands.

It was summer, I think. The sun was beating down on us and the trees were full of fruit. It was beautiful, to say the least.

John, though, looked a bit... different. It was barely noticeable, but looking at him, I could see the faintest of smile lines and a ring on his left hand.

I turned away from John at the sound of an unfamiliar noise. It was laughter. A little kid's laughter. Something about it made me smile.

A moment later, a small girl, no older than six, came bursting through the trees before sitting down in Johns lap.

"Daddy, Daddy, look!" She beamed, tapping him on the shoulder and happily placing a beautiful red and gold flower in his hand.

John gasped, carefully tracing a finger over one of the petals. "Wow, where'd you find this?"

"By Uncle Jeremy's favorite tree!" She giggled before leaning close to his ear and whispering loudly, "It's for Mommy!"

"Oh?" He smiled, "Well, why don't you go and give it to her?"

"Okay!" She quickly took the flower and climbed out of Johns lap, moving to stand in front of me.

"Here Mommy!" She chirped, reaching up and placing the flower over my ear. "I got you a flower!"

"Thank you, baby!" I said, pulling her into a hug. I could see John smiling at us from over the girl's shoulder.

"It's beautiful, Frances," he breathed, causing the girl to smile even brighter.

And then, I woke up.

"EVERYBODY UP!" Somebody yelled, "TODAYS THE DAY, MES AMIES!"

I groaned, promptly rolling out of bed and onto the cold floor, still tangled up in my blankets. Izze did the same, falling onto the floor next to me with a yawn.

Somebody knocked on the door and we muttered a tired 'Come in'.

"Wake up!" John chirped, walking inside and helping my sister and me off the floor. "Alex needs y'all's help."

His smile reminded me of the little girl from my dream.

Frances.

My daughter.

A couple of minutes later, we walked into the living room where Alex sat, fidgeting nervously with his suit. As soon as he saw us, he let out a breath of relief.

"Thank God, you're here!" He said, giving us a desperate look. He pointed to his hair which fell across his shoulders limply. "Help?"

"I got dis," Izze smirked, reaching forward and grabbing a piece of his hair, immediately sectioning it into three parts.

"Izze?" I frowned.

"Mhm?"

"No braids."

Her hands froze, still holding a partially formed dutch braid. "Why?" She pouted, giving me her best puppy dog eyes.

I had to fight not to give in right there. "Look," I sighed, "This is a very formal occasion. He needs to impress Mr. Schuyler today."

"My braids are very impressive!" She pointed out.

"What are braids?" Alex chimed in.

"How about a simple ponytail?" I suggested.

"Fine," she grumbled, unraveling the braid and pulling his hair into a sleek ponytail at the nape of his neck.

After that, we all gathered on the couch to discuss the game plan.

"First, you're gonna introduce yourself to Mr. Schuyler," John said, looking up at Alex with a serious expression.

"Then greet Eliza!" I smiled.

"You're gonna have to take him into another room to ask for his blessing!" Herc said.

"After that, you'll eat with him," Laff said, snacking on a baguette.

"And once he approves," Izze smirked, "you can propose to Liza!"

Alex gulped, standing up with a nervous nod, and walking over to the door. We walked him down the road and into town, while the guys gave him their best tips and pointers.

Eventually, we could see the Schuyler Mansion in the distance and we watched him walk up to the house and disappear behind the closed door while we all screamed 'GOOD LUCK'. Laff and Herc were trying not to cry from happiness as they watched him leave, hugging each other for comfort.

Once Alex was gone, we all went back into town. Laff and Herc went to go eat at a small bakery on Sesame Street while John and I wandered around, not having a set destination.

"I've been here before," I gasped, hearing a familiar sound coming from a couple of streets away. It was music.

Before John could react, I'd grabbed his hand and started tugging him toward the square.

It was just like I remembered. The place was packed, people were bustling around, filling up the entire space. You could just barely hear the faintest of music playing over the sound.

"Where are we?" John breathed, looking around at the many colorful decorations placed everywhere in preparation for the holidays.

"Town square," I beamed, squeezing through the crowd with him right behind me.

Eventually, we found a small space with nobody in it and I slung my arms over his shoulder with a smirk. He laughed, placing his hands on my waist as we began to dance in the middle of the crowd, laughing as we constantly stepped on each other's feet.

"I thought you didn't like to dance?" John smirked.

"I don't," I laughed. "But I'll make an exception for you."

He chuckled, spinning us in a circle. "And why might that be?"

I blushed. "Well, Laurens, I like you a lot."

That caused him to blush and a goofy smile made its way onto his face. "I like you a lot, too, Owens."

I got on my tippy toes, kissing him softly on the lips before stepping on his toes again, causing him to laugh.

As we danced, I could almost imagine the little girl from my dream spinning around in circles with us, giggling happily.

John spun me around again and I laughed, setting aside my thoughts and focusing on him. Even with the bustling crowd around us, it wasn't too difficult of a task.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
10/11/2020

*happily throws my word vomit at y'all's faces* Yummy, right?

QOTD: What was going through Herc and Laff's proud momma minds when they watched Alex go?

Thanks for reading! -SunkissedChild5