FOUR - Legend

Make sure yall show love.
Lemme say RIP Scottie & Pray 4 baby Scottie. If you live in Memphis you may know what I'm talking about but if not, just search #RIPScottie on instagram and you'll see what's going on.

-

JAYLEN

Abria won't quit blowing my phone up. She irking me. "Maybe it's important." Kennedie mumbles. "Naw... it's just gone be her trying to argue about me being here right now." I say. "Is she pregnant with your baby?" she asks. "Supposedly." I say. "Maybe it has something to do with that." she mumbles. Eric calls me.

"Wassup?" I ask. "Um... yo baby momma giving birth right now and one of the babies didn't make it." he says. I jump up. "What?" I yell, hoping he didn't just say one of the twins died. "Just come." he mumbles. "Ma and all them here already.  Momma in there with her." he says. My eyes tear up. "Aight." I mumble. "Uh... I gotta go. She having the baby. You wanna come or not?" I ask. "I'll come." she says, then puts her shoes on.  We rush out of the room then down the elevator.

I just got to the room she's giving birth in. "Why are you just now getting here? That bitch Kennedie must be more important?" Abria screams at me. "Shut the fuck up, damn!" I snap. "Both of yall, shut the fuck up!" Ma screams.  I roll my eyes and grab Abria's hand. "It hurts!" she screams at the OBGYN, crying. She stands up and starts checking some shit. "You're almost there, honey. Do you want any ice?" she sweetly asks. "Do you want your fucking life? Uugh, get this baby out of me!" she screams.

The OBGYN just stepped back in with some nurses. They walk over to Abria and start telling her a bunch of shit as she pushes. I'm not even paying them attention. I'm just thinking about the what ifs. Like, what if this baby ain't mine? And what if neither of them make it? I'm scared as hell. I ain't ever been so scared before.

"Sir, would you like to cut the ambiblical cord?" one of the nurses asks. "No." I answer. Everybody look at me funny, then continue to do whatever they were doing. They lay the baby across Abria's chest as they start saying some stuff I'm not paying attention to and writing some stuff. I'm in a daze. Abria starts crying on the baby's face. They take him and clean him off for her.

"Have you guys decided on a name for this handsome little angel?" a nurse asks, smiling.  "Name him Chevy, of course.  Cause I'm that nigga." Chevy says, making my family and the nurse laugh. All except me. "Jaylen... you have anything in mind?" Abria softly asks. I shake my head no. "Son, you don't wanna hold him?" dad asks me. I shake my head no. "You okay?" Heaven asks. I look over at Eric. "Why the fuck was she with you when her water broke?" I ask.

The room falls silent.  His face turns red. She looks out the window. "Basically,  I was high and I was drunk and I didn't know who she was. She just started sucking and riding. I didn't realize until I came to my senses when that nasty shit broke on me. Bruh, I swear." Eric says. I look over at Abria. My sisters start glaring at her. "E, I ain't mad at you. I don't give a fuck about her enough for that." I say. "I'm sorry, Jaylen." she softly says. "Bitch, fuck you. Name the baby." I snap. She sighs and looks at the red faced, nervous nurse. "I wanna name him Jaylen-" I cut her off. "Hell no.  I know what I wanna name him. Let's name him That Baby Aint'Mine" I say. Everybody gasps.

"How could you say that?" she screams. "Hoe, don't play the victim.  I knew I wasn't dumb.  Look at that damn baby, Abria! Look at him! You mixed, barely black. I'm mixed as fuck, barely black. Most people mistake me for another race anyways. The nigga you was fucking with before you got pregnant is full black, dark skinned nigga. That baby look just like the mothafucka and the baby damn near dark! It ain't fucking mine! Don't lie to me, bitch!" I scream.

I'm so mad. Everybody gets quiet. "He is yours." she says. I shake my head. "Yet, you continue to lie to my face." I say. "I knew you was a hoe anyway." Chevy says. "Okay, everybody calm-" I cut mom off "Fuck being calm! This bitch lied to me!" I scream.  I get up and pull my gun on her. She starts screaming, pressing the emergency nurse button.  "Too late." DJ says, locking the door. "Okay, okay, okay, he isn't your baby! I'm sorry,  Jaylen! I'm so sorry!" she cries. I cock the gun. "Wait, stop!" dad yells, grabbing me. "Don't kill that girl, the baby needs her." mom softly says. "I don't give no fuck! It ain't my baby so ion care!" I yell. I aim the gun and shoot it, trying to get out dad's grip as I shoot. The first bullet busted her IV. The other ones hit the wall. I can hear security hella banging on the door. "Bitch, you lied to me, mane! Damn!" I scream, then kick her. I drop the gun and put my head in my hands. "Why you had to lie to me, mane?" I sob.  Everybody come and hug me as my dad talks to her, threatening her and getting rid of the gun.

I never thought it would hurt me like this. I really wanted the kid to be mine. First, I wasn't excited, then I was proud to say I had twins on the way, now the baby that survived ain't even mine. Then I was seriously thinking long term with this hoe. I was gone marry the bitch after the babies were born.  I had the ring picked and all that. And what she do? Shitted on me.

"Jaylen... I slept with someone else before you but... I wanna be sure. Because after all, you do have a black dad." she mumbles.  I glare at her. "Why you talking to me?" I ask. "I'm serious." she mumbles.  Mom opens the door. "What's going on in here?" a security guard asks. Dad pulls out a stack of hundreds and puts it in his hand. "Nothing happened." dad says, nodding his head. The guard gets the hint and nods his head, then walks out.  A nurse walks in. "Can we get a DNA test?" Holland asks her. "Sure." she answers.  "Fine. How soon will we get the results?" I ask. "We can give them to you today but that will cost more." she says. "We want that one. I don't care how much it costs." I say. She nods her head.

We waiting for the results on the baby now.  We've been waiting for an hour and a half. The door opens and a doctor walks in holding a piece of paper. He hands it to me. I read over it. What the hell?

"He... he mine.  What the... how in the hell?" I ask. "Your father is African American, sir. This happens often." the doctor says. My mouth drops. I shake my head. "Did somebody fuck with the test or something? This baby look like her other dude." I say. Something kinda off. "Nope. That's real." he says, then walks out.

I look at her. "I'm sorry." I say.  I still don't think he mine. I'm getting momma to run the tests herself tomorrow since she's an OBGYN herself.  "It's fine." she mumbles. A nurse walks in with him. "Here ya go." she says, smiling. She hands him to Abria. "Hold him, Jaylen." she says. I get up and take his small body out of her arms. He looks at me, smiling. I look closer. His eyes are a dark blue in the center, kinda like mine. He starts sucking his tongue, staring at me. I smile and kiss his forehead. I rub his tiny curls down. I don't know what it is, but every doubt I had a minute ago just left me. Now that I'm looking, he has a lot of my traits. Like, my eyes. He has mood eyes just like I do.

His eyes start turning light blue. "He gone cry." I say. "How you know?" Abria asks. "His eyes." I simply say. He bursts into tears.  I hand him back to Abria.

"So, have you two decided on a name?" the nurse asks again. Abria looks at me. "You choose." she says. I stare at him. "Um... I wanna name his Legend." I say. "Legend?" everybody asks, looking at me funny. "Yeah... Legend Jaylen Crippen." I say.  "Legend Crippen it is then." Abria says.

My family left already.  "I'll be back." I say, handing Legend to her. I walk out and to the waiting room. "Kennedie, you wanna see my son?" I ask. "If it's okay." she mumbles.  I grab her hand and lead her into the room. Abria looks at us crazy.  I take Legend out her arms. "His name is Legend." I say. She smiles at him "He's so cute. He reminds me of your dad, kinda." Kennedie says. Now that I'm calm, he really does kinda look like dad. "Yeah. Thanks." I say. "How did you come up with that name?" she asks. "Dedicated to my parents. Both of them are some street legends." I say. She chuckles.  "That's Unique." she says. I nod my head.

"Yall through being mushy gushy? Give me my damn baby." Abria says. "Bitch, shut up." I say, sitting down with him. "You lost your mind." she says. "Yeah, you losing your life tho." I say. I bet that shut her hoe ass up.

LEGEND AS A NEWBORN IN THE MM.

COMMENT 25
VOTE