Chapter Twelve

Gemma woke up the next day by someone pounding on her front door. She didn't bother putting any clothes on and answered it in just her pajamas.
"Elijah! Elena! What are you doing here? And what the hell happened to your suit?" they both came inside her house.
"I've had a bit of an incident, Gem. I was hoping you could help me."
"Well, of course."
"Well, first things first. I'm going to need a change of clothes." he grabs Gemma's hand, "Elena please stay." Elena nodded. Elijah and Gemma went upstairs, and for the first time since her parents died she opened their bedroom door and the pair walked inside. Elijah quickly pulled Gemma into him and kissed her, "I needed that." she smiled.
"I should get dressed too." she went to her room and pulled on a pair of jeans and a tank top and slipped some converse onto her feet. When she was done, Elijah met her by the stairs and they both rejoined Elena. They all sat on a couch in the living room.
"So I assume that the Martin witches are no longer with us." Elijah asked.
"No, I'm sorry."
"And Katerina? She would have been released from my compulsion when I died."
"Klaus took her, we think that she may be dead."
"I doubt that. Not Klaus' style. Death would be to easy for her after what she did."
"I don't understand. You say that you want Klaus dead, but you still made Katherine pay for betraying him."
"I have my own reasons for wanting Katerina to pay. There was a time...I'd have done anything for Klaus." he told the girls a story, "yes, Klaus is my brother." Gemma knew this, but Elena was shocked.
"I heard that. I'm still processing."
"Yes, I'm a little behind on the times, but I believe the term you're searching for is O.M.G" Gemma laughed a bit and Elijah smiled at her.
"There's a whole family of Originals?" Elena asked.
"My father was a wealthy land owner in a village in Eastern Europe. Our mother bore seven children."
"So your parents were human?"
"Our whole family was. Our origin as vampires is a very long story, Elena. Just know... we're the oldest vampires in the world. We are the Original Family, and from us all vampire were created."
"Right, but Klaus is your brother. And you want him dead?"
"Gem, you're being remarkably quite. How about some air? I'm still feeling a tad... dead. Come." Gemma, Elena and Elijah all get up and leave the room, "you okay?"
"Yeah, just a lot of information to take in." Gemma replied. Sometime late and another story Elijah was done and Elena had left. Gemma was sitting on a bench by the pool in her backyard and Elijah sat next to her.
"You look sad."
"Just a lot going through my head." he kissed her forehead. Elena came back after awhile.
"Welcome back."
"Tell me, what's Klaus' curse?" she takes off jacket and sits down next to Elijah.
"My family was quite close, but Klaus and my father did not get on too well. When we became vampires we discovered the truth. Klaus was not my father's son. My mother had been unfaithful many years before. This was her darkest secret. Klaus is from a different bloodline. Of course, when my father discovered this, he hunted down and killed my mother's love and his entire family. Not realizing, of course, that he was igniting a war between species that rages until this day."
"A war between species?" Gemma questioned.
"The vampires... and the werewolfs."
"So Klaus' real father was from a werewolf bloodline? What does that make Klaus? A werewolf? Or a vampire?" the information went swimming into Gemma's brain.
"He's a hybrid isn't he?" Gemma quickly asked.
"Yes, he is both. A hybrid would be deadlier than any werewold or vampire. Nature would not stand for such an imbalance of power. Therefore the witches, the servants of nature, saw to it that my brother's werewolf side would become dormant."
"That's the curse that Klaus wants to break?"
"He wants to trigger that part of him that's a werewolf. If allowed, Klaus would sire his own bloodline. He's building his own race. Endangering not just vampires, but everyone."
"But you helped him?" Elena asked.
"I helped him, because I loved him. That's changed, now he must die."
"We have the dagger now, we can stop him."
"When a werewolf is wounded by silver, it heals. An original can't be killed by anything but white oak ash on a silver daggers. So you see the conundrum. The dagger does not work."
"So Klaus, he can't be killed?" Gemma asked.
"There's one way to kill any supernatural species... at the hands of the servants of nature themselves."
"A witch if they channel that much power. But it would kill them."
"The curse must be broken during the full moon. When Klaus is in transition. That's when he'll be at his most vulnerable. A witch with enough power... can kill Klaus."
"What if I told you that I knew a witch that could channel that much power?"
"Then I would tell you there's one more thing that you should know." he tells another story.
"You found a way to save the life of the doppleganger?"
"Yes, Elena, I did. But unfortunately, Katerina took matters into her own hands first. I believe you already know how that played out."
"You cared about her, didn't you?" Gemma asked
"It's a common mistake, I'm told. And it's one I won't make again." Elijah hands Elena jacket and he leaves.
"There is so much going through my head, Elena." Elena wrapped an arm around Gemma.
"I know Gem, you've been through a lot since you changed. But I've got to get back to Stefan." Gemma nodded and walked Elena to the door, "you going to be okay?"
"Yeah, I just watch movies the rest of the day. Drink. Who knows." Gemma dragged herself back to her room and fell onto her bed, she turned on the television and got under the covers she picked up her phone and dialed Tyler's number.
"Ty, it's Gemma. I don't know what I did to make you leave. But I really miss you and I could use you right now." she hung up the phone fell asleep sometime later.
Gemma woke up to her phone ringing.
"Hello?"
"Gemma Walker?"
"Yes?"
"Hi, I'm calling because Carol Lockwood took a fall and she is in the hospital. We tried to call her son and he didn't answer. She said to call you."
"Okay, I'll be there in ten minutes." Gemma threw her covers off of her and got up, Gemma put her hair up and ran down the stairs and got into her car. SHe drove to the hospital and gave her keys to the valet, she ran inside and up to the front desk.
"I'm here for Carol Lockwood." Gemma told the girl, she didn't responded so that caused Gemma to slam her hands down on the counter causing the girl to jump, "hurry the hell up."
"Room 205." she said. Gemma ran to the elevator and took it up to the second floor. Gemma went to Carol's room and sees she is awake.
"Gemma!"
"Mrs. Lockwood, what happened."
"I just fell down the stairs." Gemma stayed for awhile and then went to the cafeteria to get something to drink. When she went back she saw Tyler and Jules.
"Tyler? Jules."
"I'll give you a few minutes." Jules said.
"Thank you."
"Just a few, Tyler."
"I got it." Jules walks away.
"She's just making sure I'm safe."
"So are you two friends now?"
"She's been helping me. How are you?"
"The hospital called me about your mom, so I came."
"Yeah, she told me you were here."
"And you? How's everything going with you?"
"I'm hanging in there."
"Good."
"Yeah. I should get going. Jules and I need to get on the road."
"You're leaving again?" Gemma asked.
"I left for a reason, Gemma."
"Your explanation must have got lost in the fucking mail, along with your goodbye."
"Well... take care of yourself."
"I'll try, you have no idea what's happening to me." suddenly Gemma holds her head and she screams and Tyler does the same. A man comes out and so does a girl who injects Gemma with vervain. Sometime later Gemma wakes up and sees Tyler looking at her.
"Tyler?"
"You alright?"
"Yeah, I think so." Gemma tries to break the chains but she can't
"I already tried."
"Those witches vervained me."
"Who were they?"
"I think they're with Klaus."
"Who the hell is Klaus?" Gemma doesn't answer/
"Tyler... you shouldn't have come back here." Tyler and Gemma look at each other.
"The whole sun and the moon curse is fake?"
"That's what Elijah told Elena and I. Klaus still needs to do the sacrifice, but it's just not for that."
"And you think that's why they grabbed us? For the sacrifice."
"Yes."
"He's going to kill us?"
"I think so. Yes."
"This whole time I've been gone, Jules has been helping me come to terms with what I am. How to deal with it. I guess none of it matters anymore."
"Why didn't you say goodbye? You just left."
"You want to talk about this now?"
"Well, if we're going to die, I might as well know the truth. Why did you leave me?"
"I knew you hated me. I thought you deserved better than having someone like me in your life."
"I was hurt. You turned your back on me when I need you. But.. I could never hate you, Tyler." he smiles and they both hear the door open. Damon comes in, "Damon?" he comes over to Gemma.
"Your friend Matty is outside with a rifle loaded with wooden bullets. Caroline has some explaining to do."
"What, Matt?"
"Matt knows about you?"
"Not that I know of."
"Shh. Tomorrow's problem." Damon releases Gemma and she gets up.
"Let's get you out of here." Damon said.
"Wait, Damon, no! I'm not leaving without him."
"Oh. It's getting dark soon." he looks at Tyler.
"How fast can you get the hell away from here?" Damon asked.
"I need to get to my family's cellar. I can lock myself up."
"I'll help you." Gemma said. Damon goes towards Tyler and crouches in front of him.
"Don't make me regret this." he breaks Tyler's chains. They go outside and Matt starts waking up. Gemma goes over to him.
"Matt, what the hell were you thinking?" she looks at Damon, "did you hit him?"
"Did you already forget about the part with the gun and the wooden bullets." Tyler growls and hold his chest, he looks up at the moon.
"Tyler? Tyler?"
"It's starting."
"Grab boy wonder and let's go."
"Come on Matty." Gemma grabs his hand and they all leave.
"What's happening? Is he ok?" Matt asks.
"He better not wolf out on us." Damon's phone rings and he answers it, "bad time, little bro." the two talk and Damon hangs up, Tyler falls onto the ground and his transformation begins.
"Tyler!"
"I don't know if I can hold it off. Get out of here."
"Tyler, it will be okay." Gemma told him.
"Go!"
"You've got time. We're almost there, just..."
"It's happening faster..."
"Tyler, it's okay." Tyler's eyes turn yellow. He rushes over to Gemma fangs bared but Damon quickly intercepts him. Tyler is above Damon, but he pushes him off, "Damon..."
"I'm fine."
"Get out of here!" Tyler yelled.
"Get to the Lockwood cellar. IF it held him in, it'll keep him out. If it doesn't... use these." he gives them wooden bullets, "it'll buy you a couple seconds. Go. Go!" they leave, Gemma and Matt rush into the cellar and close the door.
"Come on, down here." Gemma told Matt still holding onto his hand.
"Is that going to hold?"
"No." they go futher into the cellar, Caroline closes the iron gate, "help me with the gate. Help me with the gate!" he helps Gemma and Tyler enters the cellar in wolf form and looks at them, "Tyler? It's me. It's Gemma. Tyler?" he rushes over to the gate, but Gemma holds it shut.
"Gemma let me help."
"Get back, I got it." Tyler starts to attack, fitting his snout through the bars of the gate and snaps and snarls at Gemma, she flinches but holds the gate steady. Matt aims the rifle at Tyler. Tyler backs up and attacks a second time.
"Gem, the doors not going to hold." Matt continues pointing the gun at Tyler, "come on!"
"Tyler, please!" Tyler doesn't let up on his attack and Matt shoots Tyler, who yelps in pain and backs away. Matt shoots him again, "Matt! No, hey, no! It's Tyler!"
"It's trying to kill us!"
"Wait!" Gemma looks back and Tyler is laying on the ground and is panting heavily, "he's wounded."
"Gemma, stay back." Gemma begins to unlock the gate.
"We can go around him."
"Areyounuts?"
"You're not going to shoot him again, ok? Matty, take my hand." Gemma extends her hand towards Matt as she opens the gate and walks out. Matt continues to point the gun at Tyler.
"I got it." Gemma looks back at Matt.
"Matt, take my hand." Matt finally places the rifle over his shoulder. He takes Gemma's hand and she uses her vamp speed to get the two of them out of the cellar. She runs to the Lockwood mansion and Gemma shuts the door and locks it.
"Come on." Gemma breathes out, leaning against the door, Matt peers out the front window.
"Do you see anything?"
"We're not safe here. If that thing wants in, it's getting in." Matt opens the champer of the rifle and reloads it.
"How did you know what I was?"
"Caroline. She thought she compelled me to forget but I was taking vervain. I was spying on her to get information. It was Sheriff Forbes idea." Matt walks out of the room to peer out another window. Gemma looks at Matt with a shocked expression.
"Sheriff Forbes knows? Oh my god! You told her? Matty, what did she say?"
"She hates vampires. She grew up hating vampires. She'll probably always hate vampires."
"Well, what about you?"
"What about me?"
"Where does this leave you and Caroline. You have to tell her."
"Right now all I'm trying to do is not get mauled to death by my friend." Matt leaves the room and leaves Gemma standing there confused. Gemma goes after Matt and finds him peering out a window, "you don't think I killed him, do you?" Gemma sits down on a couch in the parlor.
"No. No. It takes a lot more than a wooden bullet to kill a werewolf. He's still out there somewhere. Do you think Caroline's mom wants to kill her?"
"I don't think she knows what to do with her." Gemma hears a noise and becomes more alert, "what is it?" Matt begins to walk towards the front door.
"Wait." Gemma says, she listens more intently and hears more shuffling on the front porch. Matt points the gun at the door. Gemma gets up and pushes the barrel of the gun down.
"Don't. Don't shoot." Gemma rushes over to the front door.
"What the hell are you doing?" Gemma peers through the glass on the front door and sees Tyler lying naked, on the front porch. Gemma goes back over to Matt.
"Give me your coat."
"What?"
"Your jacket, take it off." Matt takes off his jacket and hands it to Gemma, she runs back over to the front door and opens it. Matt follows behind her closely. Gemma kneels down next to Tyler and places the jacket over his naked body, "hey." Gemma said softly to Tyler, causing him to look up at her. Gemma runs her fingers through his hair, he gasps.
"Gemma!"
"Hey. It's ok. It's okay." Gemma helps Tyler up and then helps him into his dad's study. He lays down onto the couch. Gemma sees Matt standing in the parlor nd he is staring blankly into the fire. Gemma goes inside and closes the door, Matt looks up at her.
"How's Tyler doing?"
"Sleeping. He should be better by morning. He just.. he needs some rest."
"Good." he paused briefly, "so this is your life now, huh?" Gemma smiles.
"Never a dull moment." he stands up.
"I don't know if I can look past Caroline being this."
"Then you need to go talk to her about it Matty. Not me."
"I know, I do."
"Then go! I've got Tyler watch covered." he smiled and then hugged Gemma. Gemma goes back into the office she left Tyler in and wrapped him in a blanket. Gemma sits next to him and sighs. Tyler wakes up.
"Hey." Gemma said. Tyler pulls the blanket down and groans. He examines his bullet wound, "oh, yeah, you got shot. But it's healing." Tyler sits up, grimacing in pain as he does.
"You were right. I shouldn't have come home."
"No, you just... should have never left. And you shouldn't leave again."
"You're kidding right? This is the second time I've tried to kill you."
"Well, no friendship is perfect." they both laughed.
"I'm sorry I left without saying goodbye."
"Yeah, well, you know instead of bailing on me again, you could just say... 'thank you, Gemma, for taking care of me. And I'm sorry that I tried to chow down on you again.'" they both laughed again, but Gemma starts to cry.
"Hey. Hey. Come here." Tyler shares his blanket with Gemma and she lays her head on his chest, "oh, easy." Tyler wraps his arms around Gemma pulling her closer, "thank you, Gemma. For taking care of me."
"You're welcome." a moment later Gemma's phone was ringing and she saw that it was Damon calling.
"Damon? What's wrong?" he told her that Klaus had broken the curse and had gotten away with the help of Elijah, "what else happened?"
"Gemma, he turned Jenna and then he killed her." Gemma sat up with a start when she heard what he said, "the funeral is in two days."
"I'll be there. Thanks for calling Damon. Tell Elena and Jeremy I love them." she hung up the phone and turned to Tyler.
"Jenna is dead." she started to cry again and Tyler sat there and did his best to comfort her. She ended up leaving and went straight into her room and flopped down onto her bed and fell asleep.