Chapter Twenty

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I AM SORRY THAT I HAVEN'T POSTED IN AWHILE! IT'S BEEN CRAZY BUSY, I HAD TO GO BACK TO WORK AND THEN CHRISTMAS CAME AND NOW IT'S 2015!!! I HOPE EVERYONE HAD A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS AND I WISH EVERYONE A HAPPY NEW YEAR! I WAS HAPPY TO SEE WHEN I LOGGED IN TODAY THAT I HAD 53 NOTIFICATIONS OF VOTES FOR MY STORY. I AM GLAD YOU GUYS ARE ENJOYING IT! I LOVE YOU ALL!! NOW ONTO THE STORY!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Gemma woke up on Monday she woke up slightly happier, but that maybe due to the fact that it is Gemma's eighteenth birthday or what would've been her eighteenth birthday if she were not technically dead. She got out of bed and got into the shower, once she got out and went to her dresser, she put on a bra and panty set, she went into her closet and put on a dress, she slid on a pair of heels. She finished getting ready, grabbed her messenger bag and went out to her car. When she got to school, Gemma instantly saw Tyler and got out of her car, Tyler is by her side instantly.

"I can't talk to you."

"I know you're upset but..."

"Upset? You almost got Jeremy killed! And before you ask me to understand, or to support you, can you at least tell me what you're planning to do about your sire-bond to Klaus...?"

"There is nothing that I can do about it, Gemma! That's the point. I just wanted you to know that I understand why you can't be with me. Even though I want to put you first, before anyone, I can't. I'll never be able to. And I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I just want you to know that."

"I'm sorry too, Tyler." he hands her a small drawstring bag.

"Happy birthday." he walks away, Gemma opens the bag and fishes out a charm bracelet, it had a GW charm, a football helmet, a book, and a couple other charms. Gemma was suddenly sad once again but she slid the bracelet onto her wrist. Gemma decided to go home, and when she got there, she went inside and puts her bag down next to the door, she is taken by surprise when Elena, Matt, Caroline and Bonnie jump out with balloons, party hats and a sign. They all yell surprise.

"Happy birthday!" Matt says

"Well you blew off school and missed our work of birthday art, so..." Elena said

"Change into warmer clothes, we are going to the Falls. S'mores, campfire..." Bonnie told her.

"Cake! Likewhen we were little." Elena finished.

"Except for tequila!" Matt started to sing.

"Thanks guys. Really, I'm just not in the mood to celebrate my birthday."

"I'm sorry, what? You've already claimed your birthday as everyone's favorite day of the year."

"Yeah, and now, it's just a reminder that technically, I'm dead. I didn't even like being seventeen, the point of seventeen is to make it to eighteen. It's a filler year; I'm stuck in a filler year for the rest of my existence."

"You're not stuck, Gemma." Caroline told her.

"Yeah I am, but it's okay. You know, it's all good, I'll be fine. But I just need some time to wallow in self pity."

"Okay, well I think I have another idea." Elena said, they all go outside and get into Elena's car, she drove them to the location she wanted which happened to be in the cemetery, "there it is!" Elena told them, the group walked into the Salvatore crypt.

"This is creepy, even for us." Bonnie said.

"No, Gemma was right... technically, she's dead. Sorry. But you don't need a birthday, you need a funeral. You need to say goodbye to your old life, so that you can move on with your new life."