xxxiii. we fell in love in october

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE:WE FELL IN LOVE IN OCTOBER

WE FELL IN LOVE IN OCTOBER

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

   THREE MONTHS HAD past. Summer had blown away with the autumn wind and the smell of falling leaves and rainy days settled upon Hawkins once again. It was October, almost a year since Elizabeth Harrington and Max Mayfield had met. It was also a week before their three month anniversary. A week after the Starcourt Mall battle, the two girls had started dating. They had come out to their friends who were all very supportive, although Lucas was a little jealous that a girl had been the one to finally break up Max and Lucas. He had told them he wasn't surprised, though, as the two girls had always been closer than friends usually were.

   Despite their decade's views on girls who kissed other girls, Liz and Max had gone on a couple of dates since they officially started dating. They had to be careful to not show too much affection but it almost made the whole thing more thrilling. Liz would be lying if she said she didn't find any thrill in sneaking hand-holding and kisses in the back of coffee shops and on park swingsets.

   They had many sleepovers, Max spending more time at Liz's house than her own, but that also had something to do with the fact that she was still grieving over the death of Billy. She had yet to talk about it to Liz, only mentioning that she missed him or smiling when she heard his favorite song. Liz had done her best to comfort Max whenever she had breakdowns. During the first month without him, Max had cried more than she had smiled but it had gotten better eventually and Liz stopped seeing tearstains coating Max's cheeks.

   Liz could safely say she had never felt happier, despite the fact that the Byers family including Eleven were moving away. Joyce had taken Eleven in after the battle at Starcourt. Hopper had sacrificed himself to close the gate and save everyone, so Joyce took her in as her own. Joyce had decided quickly that the best decision for both Will and Eleven was to move. The party was upset but they knew Will and Eleven were only a couple hours drive away and they would still be able to see them.

   So, despite Liz feeling happier than ever, the move hung over her head that October morning. She wasn't very excited to send her friends off but she knew what Joyce was doing was the right thing. After everything that happened, the Byers family needed a break and a change. Liz had gotten up early that morning and headed over to Max's house for a bit before they went to the Byers household to help them with last-minute packing.

   Max was currently helping Liz learn how to skateboard. She had promised to teach her a year ago and they were finally getting to it. Liz stood on the skateboard as Max stood in front of her. Liz had a helmet on, along with elbow and knee pads. Liz gripped onto Max's shoulders as if her life depended on it as Max rested her hands on Liz's waist. Max thought it was adorable how freaked out Liz was about riding a skateboard. After all the monsters Liz had battled, it was a simple skateboard that got her worked up, "Babe, you're gonna be fine."