2.03; girlfriends

Have you ever had the feeling you're drawn to someone?

And it isn't anything they could've said or done.

Emily silently sat in her seat in the booth, scribbling down lyrics in her head while the boys sang a terrible breakup song.

Lately she had felt a strange attraction to James. Not romantically, she didn't think, but something about him was all the more appealing than before. Like an invisible tether, slowly getting tighter and tighter, was around her and pulling her in his direction no matter the circumstance.

A small melody popped in Emily's head last night and it hadn't left.

"And now I can't find all the pieces!" An excited voice sang, upbeat, drawing the girl out of her thoughts. Carlos was dancing in the booth, singing the song opposite of the other boys.

"Cut! Cut!" Gustavo shouted, throwing his headset off. "Carlos, this is a song about when a girl destroys your heart. So why are you singing so happy?" The producer screamed, making the boys in the booth jump.

"Because I'm happy?" Carlos answered, shrugging as he didn't see the problem.

"Carlos," Kelly reasoned, "just try to remember the first time a girl broke your heart."

From the back, James scoffs, "Yeah, for that to happen, he'd have to have a first girlfriend."

His friend laughed in response as Emily held in a chuckle to herself at the burn. Carlos, displeased, screamed, "Die!" pushing James against the back of the booth, beginning to attack him. In retaliation, James wrapped his arms around Carlos, pulling him down. Logan and Kendall screamed at their friends to knock it off.

The three outside the booth, watched on tired, having experienced this multiple times during a session. Gustavo slammed his hand down on a large red button reading, stop fight. A ear piercing siren went off in the booth with flashing lights. Emily winced as all the boys screamed, falling to the ground, covering their ears.

"New stop fight button works," Kelly hummed in interest.

Gustavo let up on the alarm, the boys, fully standing, giving the man a crazed look. "I'll make some changed to the break-up song, and I'll record you all later-"

Emily, who had gone back to her own song, nudged Gustavo's shoulder without looking up from her sheets.

"Separately," Gustavo pointed out. "Until then," he said, pressing a different red button reading eject and the boys were pushed out of the booth by a large wall forced by a spring.

The boys screamed as they were forced out, while Kelly hummed at the success of both buttons.

Gustavo swiveled in his chair to face his assistant. "What are you working on that's so important?" He asked, peaking over.

She tore the music out of his eye sight, "my diary."

The man scoffed, rolling his eyes, "Nice try, you don't own a diary."

"Is it a song?" Kelly asked, joining Gustavo's side, wanting to see what she was creating.

Yeah, it was a song. A song expressing her conflicting inner-emotions and thoughts about possibly feeling romantic feelings for a guy she works so closely with, and oh, by the way, he's a member of the band you produce.

"I don't know," Emily mumbled, turning around in her chair to brush past the two and rush out. In a split second, they both slid in her way, blocking the exit.

"I want to hear it," Gustavo demanded. "This break-up song isn't working and you haven't written me a song in a while."

"It's not a song," Emily denied.