2.18; break-up

It had been only a weekend since the prom and Emily spent it all with Jo and Camille trying to figure out where her head was at.

She told the guys she was sick so she wouldn't have to see them, mainly James.

James had taken another girl to Prom, a hotter girl, to win king, and it totally caught her off guard. Her and James weren't exclusive. They weren't dating. They barely kissed since the beach, but that was the agreement. To take it slow and see what could happen.

And yet, Emily still felt furious with him. She really thought they would go together and become official. They hadn't talked about it, so she guilted herself into not being mad. But to not have an explanation from him made her mad again.

This is why she locked herself in her room all weekend. Her emotions couldn't be trusted.

Monday finally rolled around and unless Emily could figure things out, she'd have to continue the lie and tell Gustavo she was sick and couldn't work.

Outside her apartment, Jo and Camille sighed to each other, unsure what to expect. They spent a majority of Saturday with her, talking it over, and quickly discovered she would scattered. The girls agreed to regroup on Monday and see how a day alone treated her. Her friends didn't know what to expect.

Camille knocked on the door.

"Come in!"

Jo shrugged, opening the door at ease, expecting Emily to be sleep deprived and dead on the couch. Camille bet she had been drinking caffeine nonstop and was bouncing off the walls.

Emily smiled as her friends entered the apartment, taking off her oven mitts. The girl had just taken a tray of muffins out of the oven, setting it on the stove to cool before popping them out. The rest of her kitchen and counters were covered with muffins of all flavors.

Camille held back a laugh at the sight of the hundreds of pastries while Jo gaped, approaching her slowly.

"What's all this?" Jo questioned.

Emily leaned against the counter, "Well, Carlos sat outside for hours yesterday and refused to leave me alone until he could do something for me because I'm "sick,'" she told them with air quotes, "so I sent him to the store and I've been baking muffins ever since."

"I can tell."

Camille nodded to the tower of blueberry muffins, taking on. Emily eagerly nodded, happy to share. "I can't tell if this is a good thing or a bad thing," Camille hummed as she peeled off the bottom wrapper.

Emily looked around, inspecting for good work, contemplating her answer while Jo shook her head in disbelief, "This is bad," she told them. "I love you, but this is insane."

"I think it's delicious," Camille mumbled, giving Em a thumbs up.

Emily, ashamed, "She's right. I did all this without a drop of coffee," she admitted. The girl couldn't stop thinking about James. She even had multiple nightmares and dreams about her current situation and the only way to clear her mind of it was occupying herself with anything else.

Jo pulled out the stool, sitting down, giving in and having a muffin for herself, "Where's your head at today?"

Emily rubbed her face, stressed, "I don't know," she admitted. "I feel more rational thinking it through, but I can't ignore how upset I am."

"Again," Camille stated, "Logan is the one who convinced James of all this."

Emily shook her head, "Logan doesn't know about us and is completely out of the scenario," she told her. Logan may be the reason this was happening, but not intentionally, not vindictively, and completely unaware something was wrong. He had no obligation towards Emily.