Chapter 1: Confusion

Catrina

Sitting straight up in bed, I'm trembling. Hearing mom cry out my name frightens me to my core. Looking around the studio apartment, I don't see my mother here in my home and I'm so confused.

"Mom, are you here? Where are you?" I ask and then hop out of bed.

Putting on my housecoat, I run to the door and open it. As I peek out, there is no one is in the hallway, and I realize it must have been a dream.

Holy crap, that felt so real.

Shaking it off, I go to the coffeemaker and make myself a cup.

That was so weird.

Grabbing my mug, I take a seat on the couch and try to shed this awful feeling of dread.

I'm shuddering, my heart is racing and I hate this feeling. It's like when the phone rings...

At that exact moment, my Halophone rings and says, "Ella is calling."

Quickly, I grab for it before it vibrates off the coffee table.

"El, is everything alright?" I ask before she has a chance to speak.

My sister's image appears, she is wrapped in a blanket and sitting up in her bed, acting very nervous.

Ella looks me in the eye, then answers, "I don't know the answer to that question. Cat, I had the weirdest dream."

"Was it our mom calling out to me?" I ask and she's silent, but then glances up and nods.

I shout, "Stay on the line. I'm calling her right now!"

Ella says calmly, "Maybe you shouldn't. Mom and dad will get all upset and..."

"Are you serious? El, we just had the same dream. I'm calling her." I state and she nods again.

As we wait for her to answer, both of us are biting our nails.

She's not answering, why is she not answering?

"I'm calling dad," I exclaim after listening to it go to voicemail.

As it rings, we look at each other, and I know her thoughts.

"Good morning, Cat... Hey Ella, what are you doing up so early? Is it my birthday?" Dad asks as he sits up in bed.

Ignoring all of that, I ask, "Is mom there with you?"

Watching him turn to look at the other side of their bed, I pray she is there sleeping.

Then he looks back at me and answers, "No, she's not in bed. What's going on? Maybe she got up early today?"

Ella says, "Dad, we both had a very vivid dream that mom was calling out for Catrina."

"You both had the same dream?" He asks and then sees the look in our eyes.

Dad hollers while grabbing a shirt, "Let me check the house!"

Sitting here on my couch, I watch as he runs down the stairs.

"Ella, I'm going to put you both on the wall screen," I say and then hit the group button.

She replies, "I'm already calling Luke and then I will too."

Before I can reply, Luke answers, and he's sitting at his desk and already at the office.

Ella says, "Luke, did you have a dream about mom last night?"

"Good morning to you and no... Hey Cat... What's going on?" He asks.