Chapter 14: New Pope

Cecelia

Once Cat and Andy leave with Avery, Ally, and Agent Richards, we sit around the kitchen table and talk about our next step. Mig asks about the new Pope and Bishop Fitzgerald looks at his ring.

Atticus says, "Pope Gregory has a different style of leading."

"Brother, we must be completely honest now, with everything going on." Bishop Joe says while patting his hand.

He states, "Things are not right at the Vatican, and many of us feel that the New Pope has changed in just a few months since he was chosen."

"What do you mean exactly?" Ella asks.

Clearing his throat, the Bishop says, "There have been secret meetings late at night. He is a young pope, only 45 years old, and was found to have had women in his bed. Multiple women..."

"What?" Mig shouts.

Atticus adds, "There is more... So much more. Things have gone missing. Sacred articles, books, and artifacts, along with a host of many priceless items. The new Pope has seen fit to blame these missing items on other priests, Cardinals, and even his own personal staff. We have had several murders or strange deaths, and these new Cardinals have been replaced by him just within the past few weeks. The Vatican has transformed from what it has been for centuries and we fear the worst has happened."

Ella says, "The Devil has found his way into God's house."

They both nod, and I'm stunned.

"There has been nothing on the news," Jaxon says, and they both nod again.

Luke asks, "Do you believe the pope was always like this and was able to hide his true self from all of you? Or has he been possessed? Then again, we now know that there may be more shapeshifters out in the world."

"Honestly, we just don't know for sure, Luke." The Bishop says and I can see the pain in his heart.

I write, Do you think all of this has to do with the Pope? Or are we looking at the end times, again?

"To be completely honest with all of you and me, I don't know if we won all those years ago. Part of me believes it was put on hold so they could regain their strength and this just started where we left off." The Bishop answers.

Ella asks, "Why would they wait 20 years?"

"We don't know the answer to that either, but that baby boom we had back then seemed almost intentional. Our world doubled in size within 1 year. That was quite extraordinary. We had never seen anything like that before." Atticus states.

Thinking back, I write. Yes, I remember hearing this on the news and it was quite shocking. When Kelly, Lori, and I became pregnant all at the same time and then delivered within weeks of each other, for our family alone, it was bizarre. Then finding out this was happening all around the world, I questioned it, but like everyone else, we assumed it was due to the long blackout.

Atticus looks at the bishop, and when he nods, it's as though Bishop Joe was giving him permission to speak.

He then says, "We believe something was born into this world. With so many women giving birth at the same time, something unnatural would be hidden by the rest. Obscure to the world and able to thrive on our planet until he or she was ready to take over."

Mira says for me, "Cece has something to tell all of you, and we do not want to jump to any conclusions. I'm telling you all of this so that it is no longer hidden within me and so that you all can help me make sense of what I saw."