Chapter 8: Senses

Cecelia

After praying together, I notice mom keeps looking up. At first, I just ignore it, but she keeps staring at the darkness that is hovering above us.

Watching this, once again, I ask, "What are you looking for?"

"What? What do you mean?" She answers nervously.

I add, "You keep looking up into the darkness."

"Oh, well, I keep hearing something," Mom says, and then she points.

Looking up, I say to her, "Mom, I don't hear anything."

"You don't hear their cries? Whatever is going on up above us must be horrible. There are thousands of people screaming... Probably more." She whispers the last part.

The ground starts to shake violently again, and I hold on to my mother.

"It's the big one!" She screams.

To me, the quake feels more like a 3 pointer on the Richter scale.

She looks at me and says, "California will be destroyed."

"Mom, I have lived in that state for 20 years and this is normal," I say, trying to calm her.

Mom stands up and shouts, "No, you're wrong. The tectonic plates are shifting. The landmass is going to slide into the ocean and cause a tsunami! All of California will be devoured by the sea!"

That feeling of dread fills me and I scream, "You are scaring me, Mom. That's never going to happen."

"I can see it, Cece! Our family is going to die!" She shrieks as these blood-red tears fall from her eyes.

Seeing this and the panic in her eyes, I stare in total shock as the blood drips down her face.

I holler, "Go to Talion and make him leave the Ranch."

"He won't listen to me!" My mother cries.

I yell to her, "If I speak to him, he won't leave. He will never leave that house. Talion will wait there until I come home. You have to make him go, mom. Make him save your grandchildren!"

She grabs my hands and we both trembling with fear.

"Make him leave, mother! Make him go to D.C.!" I shout as she raises her hands into the air.

At that moment, Mom and I are engulfed by a swarm of locusts and I hold on to her for dear life. There are thousands of these insects and I can feel the wind they are creating with their wings.

"Talion! You must hear me! Go Now! Save the children! To save Cece, You Must Go! Save the children. Go to D.C.! Save them all! Go to D.C.! SAVE THEM!" she roars as the floor beneath our feet sways back and forth.

"Go my children and tell him these words for me." She shouts as the locusts leave us and make their way upwards.

My mother's body crumples to the floor, and I catch her before she hits the ground.

She is now bleeding from every orifice, her ears, eyes, nose, and mouth.

"Mom, what is happening to you?" I cry.

"Take it, Cecelia! This is my last bit of power. Take it to warn them. I have nothing more to give you my daughter except my heart." She says as the ground beings to rip apart.

I ask, with tears filling up my eyes. "Mom, are you leaving me?"

"Yes, but I'll always be right here." Mom whispers as she touches my heart.