Chapter 5: Gifts

Catrina

Following Andy up the steps, I hear my dad shout, "So you were just going to fly to D.C. with him? A man you have never mentioned to me or your mother? You're a smart woman. Why do you think I'm angry?"

Peeking in the living room, Ella's furious, and Abe seems stunned by my father's outburst.

"Sir, I am sorry about all of this and that your family is going through something terrible right now. When Ella told me that her mother went missing, she asked me to just go on to D.C., but instead, I got here as quickly as possible to help. I didn't know that she hadn't mentioned me or our relationship, to you. This is just a miscommunication and really bad timing." Abe says as my father just takes a seat in his chair.

Ella says, "Come on, Abe. Let's just go and let my father cool down."

"Where are you going?" Dad barks.

She answers, "Is it alright if I set him up in the cottage?"

Dad's quiet for a moment, and then he rubs his face.

"That's fine, and then you need to come right back. Just you, because Agent Solomon will be here shortly." Our father says, in a calmer tone.

She nods and the two walk out the door.

Dad shakes his head and then stands up to walk back into the kitchen.

He looks at Kelly and says, "I did not handle that well."

"You are stressed out, but it's good that he's gone. Talion, I'm sure Ella didn't know he was coming or even wanted him to be here, for that matter. I highly doubt he knows we are a family of witches." She replies.

Dad nods, and I hand him a glass of wine.

"Thank you, sweetheart." He says and then hugs me.

When the doorbell rings, I let him go, and Andy jumps up to answer the door. Taking a seat between Ally and Uncle Josh, they both look at me with sad expressions. Aunt Lori reaches across the table and pats my hand as Uncle Josh just smiles warily.

Where is Brooke?

Andy returns and says, "It's an envelope for Uncle Talion."

"What did the delivery guy look like?" I ask and stand up.

He says, "Well, it was a lady, and she was driving a mail truck."

"Oh..." I say as he smiles sweetly.

Dad rips it open and we all lean in.

"What is it, dad?" I ask.

He reads it for a moment and then answers, "It's Clair's will... Why would this show up today of all days? She passed away a year ago."

"A year ago, tomorrow. And why was it sent to you and not Cece?" Aunt Kelly asks.

He hands it to her, and she looks it over.

"How odd... It is our mother's will, but why a year later?" She asks, and we all look at her.

Ally speaks up and says, "Mom, let me see it."

She is in law school, so Ally might be able to figure this out.

She flips the page and says, "This is interesting... And it may explain why Aunt Cece disappeared."

"What!" Dad shouts.

Ally reads,

Dad takes the paperback from Ally and says, "That painting is of me, my brother, and Lilith when we were children. What would that have to do with Cece's disappearance, and how did Clair know about this a year before she died? Actually, this was written 2 years ago today."