Chapter 12: Transparent

Cecelia

Once Ella joins me in the den, I watch her and see how she seems. Will she be angry or logical? My daughter is very smart, and I trust her judgment, but where did this man come from. And why is this the first time that I'm hearing about him? Picturing Dan in bed with Ella has me on edge and I must tamp down my own anger towards him.

Getting my pencil ready, she flops down on the couch.

"Okay, you got me here. What do you want to know?" Ella asks in a tone.

I write quickly, Ella, I'm currently trapped in between worlds and if you could just talk to me, this will go quick. I just want to know why you have never mentioned this man to me before now.

She nods and says, "You're right, and I should have. This is just poor timing is all. Mom, I'm so happy to know that you are here with us. It's just a really emotional time and my feeling seem to be all over the place. I'm worried about you and dad. Also, for Cat and even Luke. There is so much going on that the last thing I want to talk about is my love life."

Well, that's something.

"My plan was for both, you and dad to meet him last night. Obviously, everything fell apart, and he showed up at the house before I could talk with him. Dad got upset that he was there because they were trying to find out what was happening with you." She explains.

Did your father calm down?

She answers, "Yes, he did, but words were said. I'm a grown woman, mother, and I wish the two of you could respect me enough to give him the benefit of the doubt. Instead, with everything going on, you drag me in here to give me the third degree."

Well, did you ever think that maybe I have my reasons for being a bit overprotective? Before this moment, I knew nothing about Abe or that any of this was going on, yet I had a horrible premonition that you were in bed with Dan. Ella, I'm not saying that your new boyfriend is the devil or a demon, but you can understand why I might have a few questions about a man who has suddenly stolen my daughter's heart.

"Really mother? So where did this sexual escapade happen with Dan?" My daughter asks with an attitude.

Last night I saw you in the cottage, laying naked on the bed, faced down, while he looked at me and smiled. Dan told me some things, and it infuriated me. Then he proceeded to cover you up with a red satin sheet. I saw a light blue and black laced negligee lying on the floor, and you had a bruise on your right shoulder. Now if any of this is correct, then I think you had better take my worries a little more seriously.

As she reads this, Ella turns white as a ghost and stutters, "How... How did you? No, this can't be..."

Sweetheart, you are a very smart woman and I do not want you to take this at face value. I also don't want you to take anything for granted. If something seems off, then it just might be. For 10 years I was fooled by Dan and I'm pretty intelligent myself, yet he found a way to keep me in the dark. Just keep your eyes open, sweetheart. I love you and only want the best for you, always.

She says, "Mom, I bought that negligee 2 days ago. There is no way you could know where we were or exactly what I was wearing. How did you know about the... Oh God, what is going on?"

Ella, remember demons lie. He could have shown me this to confuse the situation. This man may not even be Dan. He also showed me your sister, with that Greg, from a year ago and she disintegrating him into ash. Now I don't believe that happened, but you can understand why I need to question these things. I know not to believe everything I saw, but we must be wise enough to know when we're being played.